From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a footprint from a hierarchical block for export from Multisim to Ultiboard.

I needed a power transformer with dual primary and dual secondary windings, but there was no such model in the database, so I created a hierarchical block utilizing two transformers with single primary and secondary wndings. The HB simulates correctly and I created a proper footprint in Ultiboard. However, I have problems exporting the new HB footprint to Ultiboard. If I try to assign the footprint while editing the HB, I get two transformers in the layout. If I don't assign any footprint while in the HB edit mode, exporting the netlist to Ultiboard results in no part in the layout.

I've tried a few different approaches without success. I'm using the Power Pro Edition version 10.1. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,334 Views)

Hi,

The best way is to simply draw your own schematic symbol, and link those pins to your footprint.

Use the 'create component' wizard and you'll see... it's only a few minutes work...

stressed user

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,303 Views)

Thank you stressed_user for your suggestion.

I did create a new schematic symbol using the Symbol Editor and assigned a previously created footprint to that symbol. That did allow me to forward annotate the schematic to Ultiboard with a proper footprint. The only downside was that I was no longer able to simulate the design in Multisim, as I could not get a proper working Spice model for the transformer with dual primary windings. Any ideas on where I could find or create a suitable model?

popman

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,232 Views)

Sorry,

I can't help you on this one, I'm not really a 'simulator'. I do most jobs straight on the board.

I would suggest you make two schematics, one for simulation, and one for your routing...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,217 Views)

That's what I have been doing, but it would be nice if I could have one master file that could simulate and export to layout.

popman

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,207 Views)