Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I modify an arbitrary component value during a simulation?

I am a new Multisim user, beginner SPICE user, but with some undergrad and graduate EE coursework, and some "real world" experience, but I don't pretend to be an EE by long shot. 

I am moving to Multisim from a competitor. In the competition, I can open a tab with all the components in the schematic and their values, including various SPICE model parameters  and can modify these while the simulation is running. 

For example, I can change a resistor without adding a potentiometer. This affords much quicker simulation response and keeps the schematic very clean and clear.

Can Multisim do this? I have not been able to find any information regarding this interactive control of component values and SPICE parameters while a simulation is running.

David

David M. Ingebretsen, M.S., M.E.
Collision Forensics & Engineering, Inc.

dingebre@CFandE.com
www.CFandE.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,956 Views)

Hi David,

In Multisim, only "interactive" parts (parts that change state such as potentiometer, switches, LEDs etc...) can update the SPICE netlist while the simulation is running, other parts you have to stop the simulation change the model parameter and then rerun the simulator.  I am not aware of the other SPICE simulator that can update the netlist while the simulator is running, can you indicate which simulator, I like to see how this works.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,926 Views)

Yes. The software is B2 SPICE by BeigeBag software:

http://www.beigebag.com/

Attached is a grab of the "properties" tab for modifying parameters during the simulation. It is very easy and useful. Since teeh components are "static" it doesn't add to the overall simulation overhead. I'm not sure how the author actually programmed this feature, but it is useful as you can add standard fixed components and simply change the value of any component in the circuit during the simulation.

B2Spice.png

David M. Ingebretsen, M.S., M.E.
Collision Forensics & Engineering, Inc.

dingebre@CFandE.com
www.CFandE.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,914 Views)