From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get a graph that shows the current in a circuit with a capacitator?

Hi. I've tried to google this, but the only results I get are multisim toturals which explains things far more complex than this. I just want to set up a small circuit with a resistor, capacitator and maybe an inductor just to see if I have gotten my math right (got an exam in a week). What I need is to see the current or the voltage in some kind of graph since the "build-up" prosess in a circuit like this can only last for half a second or so. How is this done?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(35,750 Views)

Hi there,

This is quite easy to do, depending on what type of simulation you are using.

If you are using interactive simulation (i.e. clicking the green play button), then you can use the current probe.

1. Click Simulate>>Instruments>>Current Probe
  2. Place the current probe on the wire going into the capacitor
  3. If the arrow on the current probe is pointing in the wrong direction, you can reverse it by right clicking the green arrow and clicking Reverse Probe Direction. This will help you read the current with the correct polarity.
  4. Double click the current probe. You can set the current to voltage ratio.
  5. Connect the output of the current probe to your oscilloscope.

If you are using Transient simulation. You can add current variables to the output list. Make sure that All Variables is selected for the Variables in circuit field.

Hope that helps.

----------
Yi
Software Developer
National Instruments - Electronics Workbench Group
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(35,738 Views)

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I can't seem to get this to work. The current probe seems to only have one connection point, no output/input. Are there several types of current probes?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(35,704 Views)

Take a look at the attached file. It should give you an idea of how to connect a current probe.

----------
Yi
Software Developer
National Instruments - Electronics Workbench Group
Message 4 of 5
(35,674 Views)

3. If the arrow on the current probe is pointing in the wrong direction, you can reverse it by right clicking the green arrow and clicking Reverse Probe Direction. This will help you read the current with the correct polarity.

How to change the direction of a probe in Multisim ? This is very useful advice! Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(23,491 Views)