Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DRC Does Not Work With 2-Layer Microvias

I just received word from my board manufacturer that his software reports shorts when Ultiboard's connectivity and DRC checks pass.  I inspect the Gerber files and the manufacturer is correct - there are shorts.

When I place a 2-layer Microvia in my design, Ultiboard correctly places a pad at the source layer and a second capture pad 2 layers below.  No copper ring exists on the layer between (correctly).  However, DRC has no problem with my putting a trace there.  Routing a trace between these two pads will either create a short, or will prevent the laser from drilling as deep as it should, which would then also cause an open with my target capture pad.

I believe this is wrong.  To reproduce, create a single layer board with 3 stackups on top.  Place a microvia from Top Stack-up 3 to Top Stack-up 1.  Put some surface mount pads to the left and right and create a logical connection in the netlist editor.  Now create a 3rd and 4th pad that and logically connect them.  Connect 1st and 2nd pads using the microvia.  Connect the 3rd and 4th pads routing through the Microvia on layer Top Stack-up 2.

There will be no DRC error.  However, there's no possible way to actually fabricate this.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,251 Views)

Post a mock up pcb here with the conditions, I would like to see what your describing.

Signature: Looking for a footprint, component, model? Might be here > http://ni.kittmaster.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,241 Views)

See attached.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,232 Views)

Yeah I'm seeing no errors either, most likely a new bug or not properly tested added functionality block.

I wonder if it has anything to do with this:

• Single layer stack-ups (Top Stackup 1 and Bottom Stackup 2) are new to Multisim 11.0.
  • Consequently, if you attempt to transfer from Multisim 11.0 to an Ultiboard 10 or earlier file format, and you have either top or bottom stack-ups in your design, you will be notified that only the regular copper layers will be exported

They even say this is a new piece, most likely they will download this layout file and then use it as a guideline to figure out what is really wrong and then release it 6 months from now.....(hopefully NOT).

Signature: Looking for a footprint, component, model? Might be here > http://ni.kittmaster.com
    0 Kudos
    Message 4 of 5
    (3,219 Views)

Thank you for posting this problem, I will create a defect report for this issue.

Tien P.

National Instruments
    0 Kudos
    Message 5 of 5
    (3,168 Views)