From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convergence on components containing 'if' function or conditional expression

If I create a component model which contains 'if' function or conditional expression usually I get a convergence issue.

For instance if the component contains

B1 out 0 V = { if (V(1,2) > 0, 1, -1) }

or

B1 out 0 V = { V(1,2) > 0 ? 1 : -1 }

the convergence is problematic near that point where the V(1,2) goes through 0 because the function of B1 has a discontinuity at 0. As a mathematician I understand that the simulation of such a behavior is problematic.

My questions are:

1. If the simulation can't be convergent for these types of expressions why they are among the resources?

2. If the simulation is possible how to set up the simulation for that circuits which contain such components?

3. If the simulation is possible only for some circuits of special type what they are?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,475 Views)

For the first question I have already know the answer:

With help of the 'if' or the conditional expression I can create also a function which has no discontinuity but has some breakpoints. And the breakpoints don't cause convergence problems. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,442 Views)

Здравствуйте! Всё это очень интересно, но хорошо бы примеры привести симуляций, а не пальцами в воздухе крутить...
С уважением...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(483 Views)