From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting split ground plane

I think I'm being dense today.  I split my ground plane using polygon splitter, and then tried to connect the two parts of the plane together using a trace.

When I did so I ended up with a trace clearance round the trace so they didn't connect.  I can sort of see why as there doesn't seem to be a way to associate a trace with a net.

I was able to place a copper area connected to the same net as the ground plane and that did the job, but is that how it should be done?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,539 Views)
Hi David,

What you are looking for is a net bridge. The Ultiboard help file explains how to use net bridges very well. From Ultiboard, click Help>>Ultiboard Help. In the contents tab, browse to Working with Traces and Copper>>Working with Nets>>Net Bridges>>Placing a Net Bridge. While the example is given on two traces, net bridges are also commonly used on copper polygons and power planes. Remember that you can rotate the net bridge just like any component.

Ultiboard comes with some net bridges in the master database, however, it is very easy to make your own netbridge to suite your power and space requirements.

Hope that helps.
----------
Yi
Software Developer
National Instruments - Electronics Workbench Group
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,532 Views)

Actually, no, a net bridge doesn't work as both areas are on the same net (GND), and if you try to place a net bridge, Ultiboard insists that it goes between two different nets.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,520 Views)

Hi David,

In this case, have you tried using a copper area to bridge the two power planes? Click Place>>Copper Area. It behaves just like a polygon except it is smarter about connecting to nets.

Message Edited by yyao on 03-25-2010 10:23 AM
----------
Yi
Software Developer
National Instruments - Electronics Workbench Group
Message 4 of 10
(5,505 Views)

I had a similar problem, having created three copper areas, allocated same net (0V) to all of them, then wanted to join together.  As mentioned, the tracks just had clearances... So I used the net editor to create new nets, BRIDGE1 and BRIDGE2.  Then placed four net bridges, allocating 0V to one end of all four, BRIDGE1 to the other end of two, and BRIDGE2 to the other end of the other two.  Then just had to join them up.   🙂   

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,139 Views)

Hi All,

There's a much easier way to do this.

After having split your plane into two ground planes, having the same net,

Just add a trace, but make sure it is connected to a component on that net.

That can be a TH pin or a SMD pad.

Then the track is connected to the net automatically, all you have to do is choose its width...

as said, net bridges should only be use when two nets (GND and 0V as an example) neet to be connected.

A jumper is also a possibility, then you can also see it in the schematic.

for net bridges, I usally use a jumer and combine it with a net bridge.

succes 

stressed user

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,133 Views)

Thanks for the tip, but when I tried that it added clearance around the track.  Maybe some setting or other... 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,125 Views)

Have you done a 'netlist/DRC' manual check after adding the track added to your ground?

Message 8 of 10
(4,116 Views)

Doing the DRC check seems to fix it !  

Many thanks, your help is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,099 Views)

With ground planes , it is always a good idea to do a manual 'netlist and DRC check'.

occasinally it happens that planes are not 100% closed in the gerber data.

So when you need to export gerber data, the thing to do just before exporting is a manual netlist and DRC check...

Succes!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,084 Views)