Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot route copper top - Layer is not recognized

I am in the middle of manually routing a circuit, and all of a sudden Ultiboard 9 will not recognize the top layer.  If I use "Follow-me" or "Connection Machine" while the top layer is highlighted, it will revert to the bottom layer.  I cannot uncheck the copper top either and the F2 key no longer works to switch layers.  I do have some top layers made however, from when it was working.  The last thing I was doing before this happened was selecting multiple nets in the spreadsheet and changing their width.  I am attaching my circuit.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,042 Views)

both layers work fine for me, make sure you double click the layer in the design toolbox.  Of course I'm using version 11, not 9......so check your methodology.....no issues with file you posted.

Signature: Looking for a footprint, component, model? Might be here > http://ni.kittmaster.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,025 Views)

Thanks for trying.  I have been double clicking the "Copper Top" in the "Design Toolbox" and it will even turn red, but immediately reverts back to "Copper Bottom" when I use any of the trace following tools.  I can click on a top trace and manipulate it, but as soon as I use "Follow Me" it reverts to bottom.  It seems to be connected with this circuit since all is well when I try other circuits.  I was wondering if there is a configuration file associated with this file that needs tweaking?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,020 Views)

I wanted to add a couple of other notes.  In the spreadsheet view, under "Trace Length" I have question marks.  I've never seen that before and I am not able to change them.  Also, when I select the copper top under "Favorite Layers", I am not able to highlight copper top by pressing control alternate 1 (1 was selected in favorite layers.)  I would appreciate any help. I realize this might be a bug in version 9.  I have vers. 9.0.41 Power Pro.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,006 Views)

I am still battling this problem.  Now it has affected another file.  I had the first corrupted file open and then opened (at the same time) another file I had just completed.  Now the second file (EDS HighVoltage test center 3) is corrupted with the same problems as the first.  I would sure appreciate it if anyone has any solutions to this.  I am attaching my second corrupted file.  You will notice the ratsnest is still showing in places even though there are traces to the same pins (I had completed attaching all traces before this happened).  You can't uncheck the copper top in "layers" either just like the first file.  I have Ultiboard ver. 9.0.41 which we bought but let the service contract run out (we bought ver. 8 but stopped it at ver. 9).  It looks very much like a bug in the software.  IF YOU TEST THIS, I WOULD SUGGEST YOU OPEN MY FILE ALONE, THEN CLOSE OUT THE PROGRAM BEFORE YOU OPEN ANY OTHER OF YOUR FILES.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,973 Views)

Hi,

I had no problem manually routing the copper top layer, I used the Line option and not the Connection machine or Follow Me method, the Line option is under Place>>Graphic>>Line.

If this doesn't work, maybe there is something in your default setting that is causing this problem.  Have a look at the following knowledge base to reset your toolbar:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2719D00E36A4D53A8625721300685B3F?OpenDocument

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,925 Views)

Hi Tien,

Thanks for trying, but did you use version 9?  Apparently there is no problem with the newer versions.  I tried deleting the .ewcfg file but it made no difference. I tried using "Place Line" as you did with copper top selected, and as soon as I try to draw, it jumps to copper bottom.  Never seen anything like this and I've used the program for numerous projects.  Everything is normal if I pull up an older version of my file, but that happens to be days of work earlier (unbeknownst to me, my backup wasn't working for a few days and the security copy has also been compromised.)

If you have version 9, would you mind trying my files with it?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,912 Views)

Hi,

I was using V9 when I looked at your file.  Try downloading these updates and see if it'll fix this problem, here is the address:  ftp://ftp.ni.com/outgoing/Circuit Rider.zip

When you install the updates, start with 9.01.155 and then 9.1, you don't need then finally the 9.1A.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,893 Views)

Tien,

Thanks much for the updates.  It fixed the second file (EDS High voltage test center 3) which was the more critical of the two. That was the file that got "infected" by the first.  However, the first file (EDS High voltage relay board 3.2) still has the same problem.  I was only able to use the first update as the last two are MultiSim updates, not UltiBoard.  Would you mind re-posting the Ultiboard 9 updates?

Thanks again Tien.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,881 Views)

The files I uploaded should update both Multisim and Ultiboard at the same time.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,877 Views)