cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

555 timer and counter

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

Can you explain a little bit more about how the circuit works, especially between the 555 timer and the 74LS163 counters.

here is the question i'm asked: 

* Give detailed description of the circuit operation. Comment on the accuracy of the circuit as a 180 seconds timer. Make suggestions as to how the accuracy of the circuit could be improved.

* Explain, using circuit diagrams, how the circuit could be modified so that the L.E.D is only activated for 5 seconds. Modify circuit if time allows and test.
I'm new here but my submission is very soon, i'll be glad if you helped. Thanks once again man.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(1,545 Views)

A 555 timer is a very popular component, if you google "555 timer" you will find many websites that explain how this component works.  They will give you equations so that you know how to pick the resistance and capacitance to control the frequency and duty cycle.

A 74LS163 is made by many companies, one of them is TI.  Go to their website, search for this part and you will find the data sheet that explains how this component works.

The 555 timer in your circuit is used as a clock to drive the counter.  So, if you need to counter to count to up a specific number at x speed, you need to work out the timer frequency.  I won't work out the numbers for you as this is part of your class assignment.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(1,509 Views)

ok.thank you. i almost done it.thanks for your advice.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(1,504 Views)