Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which usb DAQ device to buy ?

I am a total Noob when it comes to DAQ so please bear with me and help me with suggestiions on which NI USB DAQ to buy. I am biochemist and I have an old HPLC machine (basically a chemical purifying/seperation machine) I need to control by writing a labview program. I have labview 2013 and have some basic familiarity with it, and have used very easy VIs like blinking LEDs using arduino interface.

My current project needs me to:

1) control the flow rates on two pumps using their remote controller and vary their flow rates by varying voltages (0-10V) at not higher than 3 mA input current. basically, I need to be able to vary voltages on two analog pins. I am attaching the manual for the pump for more info. The pinout on the remote controller is on page 16/17 of the manual.

2) I need to read analog voltage outputs from these two pumps (which measures the hydrostatic pressure) and save it to something like in .csv file.

3) lastly, I need to read a analog output from a UV detector which will be in mV range and plot it and/or save that to .csv file .

There are a bunch of NI DAQ USB devices which seems like they can do this job, my problem is that dont know enough to reliably make a judgement on which one to buy for this project. My budget is limited and I would definately like to do it with as cheap a DAQ as possible since we have multiple instruments like this, and we are planning to get rid of ancient 1990s computers running the original software and replace it with a USB DAQ device coupled with a labview program on a modern PC. The HPLC machines are far apart hence we run them on individual PCs instead of running a bunch on one computer through a DAQ device.

I know its a whole bunch of questions, but I'll be glad for any guidance on this. also, to do the things I just described, how difficult do you guys think the VI would be if I use a NI DAQ and hopefully dont have any driver/communication  issues.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,768 Views)

I highly recommend you look up your local NI representative and have a nice sit down with them.  They can go over your requirements and give you really good advice on which device to get.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,767 Views)

Crossrulz, thanks for a quick reply. I might do that if I cant find any other advice online. I know that labs during my grad school used NI USB 6008 to read analog inputs from the same type of instruments I am trying to work on. I just just looking for advice which ones to buy that product range.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,763 Views)