Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

viceObjectPointer failed ntStatus = 0xc0000034

Looking for clues as to why a customer's installed system, which uses an embedded PC running XP, is occasionally "freezing up" such that it stops working, the NIC LEDs are off, and when a monitor is plugged in it just says "No Signal" (no video output).  I see some entries in the Event Viewer logs that are related to the NI stuff.  The product uses NI DAQmx (usb - 6212 I think).  There are a couple of things odd -- the timestamps seem to go back in time, about 26 minutes before the previously-logged message, and the status code given is sometimes associated with a BSOD.  Can anyone tell me what any of these NIPALK messages means?  I'm supplying the next messages on either end to show the time-stamp issue (this is exported text, so it goes from most recent to older messages):

6/3/2014    9:36:29 AM    analog    Information    None    5    N/A    hostnameRemoved    The description for Event ID ( 5 ) in Source ( analog ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: \Device\analog.
6/3/2014    9:36:28 AM    Serial    Error    None    18    N/A    hostnameRemoved    No Parameters subkey was found for user defined data.  This is odd, and it also means no user configuration can be found.
6/3/2014    9:36:28 AM    NIPALK    Warning    None    8192    N/A    hostnameRemoved    viceObjectPointer failed ntStatus = 0xc0000034
6/3/2014    9:36:28 AM    NIPALK    Warning    None    8192    N/A    hostnameRemoved    ows.cpp:71 - queryPCIBridgeFilterDriver: IoGetDe...
6/3/2014    9:36:28 AM    NIPALK    Warning    None    8192    N/A    hostnameRemoved    [nipalk]  Warning: .\source\bus\windows\pdbmWind...
6/3/2014    9:36:58 AM    W32Time    Error    None    29    N/A    hostnameRemoved    The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible.  No attempt to contact a source will be made for 15 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time. 

A coworker saw the NtpClient issue, which I would have thought was no big deal, and he tells me that in a different product, the NTP attempts to update the system clock had to be turned off, because otherwise it would interact with the NI DAQmx driver and would cause a system freeze which could last about 7 or 8 minutes.  I had assumed we see these because the LAN is just a direct connect between the device and a server -- no broader internet connectivity is needed nor available.

I'm not asking anyone to solve the problem; rather, I would like to know what these cryptic NIPALK messages are really able to tell us, if only we had the secret decoder ring.

--

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,386 Views)

Hi,

Could you provide more information about your setup.  Specifically what development environment and version you are using?  As well as what controller?

Also, are you using any virtual machines?

Please let me know, and I will continue looking into these NIPALK errors for you.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,337 Views)

Hi Lindsey,

I have a request with the same error message - maybe we can work together on this issue. My assumption until now is some incompatibility with the PCI-Bridge or the BIOS (UEFI).

The customer will try the behavior on a completely different hardware to make sure if the problem is HW-dependant. I'll keep you posted.

I asked the customer for the MAX Report - maybe we can find some similarities:

@Zimbot: Could you also please provide a MAX-Report:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/271F252B4EF0A2E0862570E70056A1E4?OpenDocument

Kind regards

Heinz

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,327 Views)

Hi,

do you have any new information?

I have the same problem with a PC (Win8.1)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,121 Views)

I don't recall whether I ever answered the previous request for MAX info, though I believe I might have answered by email?  Anyway, it was not practical to do any direct investigation because this was a customer system where we had been (temporarily) investigating larger issues and I ran across this information and wondered about it.  In truth, I had forgotten all about this issue until the forum just sent me a notice about the most-recent post above.  Sorry, but I can't offer anything more toward this discussion, but will still be interested if anyone comes up with any definitive word on the matter.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,112 Views)

Hi Lexxx,

What exactly are you trying to do when you receive this error? What development environment and version are you using? Can you also post the exact NIPALK errors you are getting?

Thanks!

Sunayna R.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,077 Views)

Hi sunaenae.

I am using Labview 2013 with Vision Development Module. The program using an NI USB-6525 card.
When the NIPALK.SYS appears the pc usually restarts.

15:36:25 – NIPALK – Warning

 [nipalk] Warning: .\source\bus\windows\pdbmWindows.cpp:71 -

o 15:36:25 – NIPALK – Warning

 etDeviceObjectPointer failed ntStatus = 0xc0000034

queryPCIBridgeFilterDriver: IoG...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,049 Views)

Hi Lexxx,

The following KnowledgeBase article might be helpful to you: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/1780FE4D49B70C0D86256FA2006B3369

Thanks,

Sunayna R.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,032 Views)

Just FYI:  for the problem prompting the original post above, there was no blue screen of death.  In my case, the hardware was a ReadyBoard 850, IIRC.  At the time, the problem under investigation was related to network connectivity going out periodically (which ended up being due to a network switch having a bad power supply -- this eventually was corrected) and there was no BSOD, and these warnings were just something I wondered about when I saw them in Event Viewer.

One of the problems here is that the warnings issued by nipalk are truncated before getting into the event viewer log, so you can't even read the whole thing to know what it's complaining about.  It could prove useful for someone to search the code for the fragments shown and find out what the rest of the message might have been.  Or not.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,009 Views)

It occurred to me that I could just scan the driver itself.  It turns out the 3 messages I posted were just one, but they are mangled -- in particular, the first line is a continuation of the second, and the second line is actually a continuation of the third.  I would never have noticed that!  I simply could not imagine why someone had named something "viceObjectPointer" :-).

.\source\bus\windows\pdbmWindows.cpp:71 -
queryPCIBridgeFilterDriver: IoGetDeviceObjectPointer failed ntStatus = 0x%x

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,005 Views)