Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usb-6225 versus pci-6225 data transfer

Hi,

I run a research lab and use NI-DAQ for data acquision (EMG, force sensors, etc) and triggering / syncing with peripheral devicses. I need millisecond resoultion in my applicaitons. Also, I need a card with 80 Analog inputs to accomodate all of the devices. This limits me to the PCI-6225 or the USB-6225 cards. My question is whether I should be concerned about differences in data transfer speeds between the two cards (their specs are otherwise identical according to the manuals).

My PC only has PCIe slots (no PCI slot), so if I was to go the PCI route, I would need to buy a PCIe- to- PCI adaptor. If I did this, would it affect the performance / data transfer speed of the PCI card?

NOTE: I already have the USB-6225 card in my lab....though if the experts suggest the PCI card, I can easily swap it in. 

Thanks for your help,

Gene

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,972 Views)

Hi Gene,

While you certainly have the option of buying an adapter, NI doesn’t ensure the functionality of our PCI devices with these adapters, and we also do not support them.

It’s also hard to say definitively how such an adapter would affect your transfer speeds. As explained in the following article under “Streaming Caveats” -> “PXI card in PXIe chassis,” using a PXI card in a PXIe chassis slot would have a detrimental effect on data streaming rates. In order to achieve maximum streaming rates with PXI modules, they should be used within a PXI chassis. It is logical to assume the same would apply to PCI cards in PCIe slots.

Streaming Data to and from Disk

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/6253/en/#toc5

If your USB-6225 card is giving you the results you want, I would recommend you continue to use it and avoid using any PCI/PCIe adapters.

Colin T.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,951 Views)