Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

standalone program without drivers

Recently I have been converting a program I wrote several years ago under Windows XP to run on Windows 7 Profession 64bit.  The program interfaces with a NI PCI-6052E as well as several non-NI cards.   The Windows XP version checked to see if the NIDAQ32.dll driver was present and if it wasn't I replaced the NI function calls with dummy functions that would allow the program to continue to run.  While converting to Windows 7 I switched from the Traditional NI-DAQ 6.93f3 driver to Ni-DAQmx 9.5.5f4.  The problem I have is, if I want to run my program on a computer that does not have the drivers installed the program exits before it executes a single line of code with the following message: "The program can't start because nicaiu.dll is missing from your computer."  Is there any way to trap this error message so I can handle it in my code?

I would like to be able to run the program as a standalone as we use it to review data as well as take it.  Ideally I would like to be able to run the program from a thumb drive.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,332 Views)

This sounds really similar to this forum post:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Measurement-Studio-for-VC/Deploy-NIDAQMX-missing-nicaiu-dll/td-p/383332

I'm pretty sure you need the drivers on the target computer if your stand alone program interfaces with hardware.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,285 Views)

The program is used to look at previously acquired data as well as take the data.  In the past we just checked for the presence of the 32 bit data driver.  If the driver wasn't installed then we used dummy pointers and skipped over the acquisition side of the program.  This allowed us to look at old datafiles on a machine that didn't have the hardware or drivers installed.  The new driver files don't even let the program start running without throwing an error and exiting.  So we cannot get to a point where we can programatically catch the error code and skip the acquisition side of the code.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,281 Views)

Did you re-build the stand alone program file in Windows 7?  Or are you using the same one from the XP build?

And can you see where the stand-alone is looking for this "nicaiu.dll"?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,256 Views)

good nigth i have one question..

i have a vi with visa and daq capabilities (created using daq express) that works great at the previously instaled labview pc, i create an exe for the application and one installer for visa,daq and net drivers

The exe at a new pc doesnt receive the reading, however the NImax can read the reading properly...

i reinstaled the daq drivers 15.5 version and the hotfix for USB at xp sp3 ...and i am clue..less, and the problem is just with daq visa works well

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,082 Views)

@riotimus wrote:

The exe at a new pc doesnt receive the reading, however the NImax can read the reading properly...

If MAX can read the data, then your drivers are fine.  You have an issue in your application.  My guess is that you do not have the devices properly named.  Did you perform and import of your DAQ settings?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,080 Views)
thanks..no i didnt do it..i have to do rigth now
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,072 Views)