Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

simultaneous input/output USB Daq in Matlab

I am looking to purchase a fairly cheap USB card to be used for simultaneous analog input ans output via Matlab. However, I am aware that people have reported problems with this, both with NI and other manafacturers.

So my question is this: does anyone have experience of any USB daq card which allows for simultaneous input & output via Matlab

thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,247 Views)
Hi,

For information on how to use National Instruments Products with MATLAB take a look at the following link:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3005

Many customers have sucessfully interfaced our devices with MATLAB using the above software. For a specific hardware reccomendation I suggest you call NIUK & Ireland on

UK:         01635 523 545
Ireland:   01 867 4374

We would be more than happy to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Ian C
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,212 Views)
We've actually had good experiences with simultaneous input/output using the M Series USB devices with MATLAB's Data Acqusition Toolbox which you can read about here:
http://www.mathworks.com/products/daq/
Sherryl Radbil
Data Acquisition Engineer
The MathWorks
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,203 Views)
My PCI 6035e board cannot support simultaneous input/output in matlab, unless I convert the transfer mode of the input to 'Interrupts' rather than 'DMA' (Direct Aemory Access). (This is a recognised issue on the matlab website, and is because this board only has a single DMA channel.) So, it's not a problem. However, if i try to use Simulink, the issue raises its ugly head again, and I am unable to get the card to produce simultaneous input and output. Also, I just noticed that the (expensive) USB M series card I was considering purchasing  has no DMA channels at all, and so is potentially useless for me.

So my main question is this:
Can i get a NI card which (definitely!) will produce simultaneous input and output in Simulink?

Related questions:
Is there an NI card (USB or PCI) which has dual DMA?
Do I actually need dual DMA at all, or is this issue a red herring and only applicable to the e series boards, as hinted at in some forums?

any answers greatly appreciated

Raymond
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,009 Views)
Hi,

Like Sherryl says, we've had good luck with the M-series USB devices.  Although there's no DMA for USB devices, the drivers for these High speed USB devices seem highly optimized, and we've had no reports of difficulty at advertised rates.  They are one of the few USB DAQ devices that we can say that about.

-Rob

-----
Rob Purser
Manager, Test and Measurement
MathWorks
rob.purser@mathworks.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,994 Views)