Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Data Enhanced Video" for testing with data and HD video acquisition

I have written "DataInHD" software tools to embed data acquisition results into standard mpeg4/h.264 High Definition video files... in a unique way. The methodology was developed for the US Navy to analyze and present results of model ship maneuvering and seakeeping tests (see attached jpeg or website http://datainhd.com/).

The Navy tests often record multiple video cameras and a hundred or more channels of analog and digital data. They can run from several minutes to an hour. After a run, DataInHD software tools embed the data into the video file as a "data track" parallel to the recorded video and audio tracks. The test run is then available for analysts and observers to replay as high definition video overlaid with selected data overlays (readouts, gauges, history plots, x-y plots, etc). The primary DataInHD applications are video players that recognize and "play" a data track (up to 16 data channels) along with audio and video. Interactively, through the player, the user can select which data channels are displayed and in what form. Also because data is actually in the video file, you can directly search long videos for specific data events (local maxima or minima in any data channel).

Recently I purchased the USB-6008 DAQ unit and a LabView License. My intent was to see how closely I could integrate this process with NI hardware and software. My website contains two videos of the results (http://datainhd.com/process.html). In addition to the NI hardware and software, the setup required an HD video camera ($700) and real-time, H.264 encoder ($500).

I would really like some feedback from someone, anyone on the applicability of this technology to the NI data acquisition community. There are literally years invested in the evolution of these software tools. I am sometimes disheartened to think that they will only ever be used in one Navy research lab (NSWCCD). I would welcome any comments and especially suggestions about how (or if) this technology could be distributed. Thank-you in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,751 Views)

The web addresses in the original message had an extra ")." appended. They should be:

http://datainhd.com/

and

http://datainhd.com/process.html

Sorry for any inconvenience.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,724 Views)

Hi David,

I am interested on your development and it will be suitable for a proposal of small project.

I have reviewed the technical detail pages on your website and would like to know  the detail of "Find and Document" feature. e.g. is it possible to create a GUI for user to do searching of data? is it a SDK or API for 3rd party program to calling?

Thanks.

HL 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,285 Views)

HL

Thank-you for your enquiry and interest. "Find and Document" is actually a separate, compiled program that controls the DataInHD video player (Clip_Analyzer or Exp_Player) and reads data values directly from Data Enhanced Video files. It is written in WinBatch, a language which easily makes GUIs and controls other Windows programs (in this case Clip_Analyzer or Exp_Player). It is included in the Data-In_HD Lite and Pro software offerings but not with the free Clip_Player.

The WinBatch program controls the video players by sending keystrokes to that window. This automates the player operation but does nothing that a human user couldn't also do. In addition the normal key strokes, there are special Ctrl-Alt-Shift-? keys that the video player listens for to initiate certain tasks. There is also communication between the programs using Windows clipboard.

There is no formal SDK or API available. I'd be glad to share the special keystrokes if that would help you. The exact structure of the Data Enhanced Video file is probably discernable from the website, Adobe documentation, and a good binary file editor. But dealing with all that detail is not for everyone. If convinced of the need, I might help out on that one too.

You should consider the Global Search program (offered with Pro software and Exp_Player) that is similar to "Find and Document" in form and function. It however searches across all the videos of an "experiment". I have recently added the "document" functions to this application so that it also directly creates image sequences and video clips and moves them to "Office" applications. The website documentation does not cover this feature of Global Search but it operates exactly like the "Find and Document" features (which are documented).

Feel free to contact me if something above is unclear or if you have additional questions.

David

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,280 Views)
Thanks for the detailed response, David.

I am reviewing the information you mentioned and would like to further discuss with you regarding the global search and others. May I have your email for discussion rather than in forum? My email is liuheungling@gmail.com

Thanks,
HL
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,274 Views)

HL

An additional thought... The actual search of the data in a Data Enhanced Video is done with a "C++" program (F4V_Find.Exe) with command line parameters. The command line parameters are just the search parameters of Find and Document. The "C" program reads the video file, does the search, and creates a text file with the search results. A description of the F4V_Find command line parameters would give you access to the same functionality and might meet your needs. F4V_Find is part of both the Lite and Pro software offerings.

David

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,265 Views)

David, The current demo shows the parameter is integrator and number etc, in fact is there any limitation in term of data type inserted in a video to form an enhanced data video? For example, can I input a string (machine ID, time), text mixed with special symbol ($,%^*) ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,239 Views)

Each data point of the data track has a single string, an 11 character time code (HH:MM:ss.ss). Each data point also has 16 data parameters and time in the form of 8 byte, IEEE, floating point numbers.

The Data Enhanced Video Players have 4 user configured text titles. These titles can be multiline and include the special characters that you list. There is an additional feature for experiments with multiple videos (DataInHD Pro).  Video parameters can be symbolically included in these titles. Nine user configured, video parameters are available to identify each video of multiple test run experiments. Titles with embedded video parameters will automatically update when a new video is loaded. This feature is available for testing at the website:

http://datainhd.com/Player_Demos.html

For example, select the Web Player button for the Melville Ship Model Test. Under the Videos dropdown menu (top-left). change to another test run, and see the titles at right change. If you use the mouse to edit the title you can see the inserted parameters as "@" symbols followed by an integer.

The Web Players available for testing like high speed internet connections and high resolution computer monitors. Sorry the website's Web Player feature is only for the Flash enabled browsers... found on virtually all desktops & laptops. Mobile devices usually are not Flash enabled. Please note that DataInHD players (available for free download and sale) are standard windows desktop applications that don't depend on Browsers of any kind.

Finally the link to the National Instruments VI test setup has changed to:    http://datainhd.com/Test_Video.html

David Fry

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,224 Views)