Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

query scxi-1001 chassis for installed modules

I am working on a new project.

It is a SCXI-1001 chassis.

How do I find out what modules are installed assuming I am not standing in front?

I want to do this in NI-MAX and also in LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,038 Views)

Hi nyc,

If you have added your chassis correctly in NI MAX, all of the modules should be listed underneath the chassis.  If you have not yet added the chassis, then right click on "Devices and Interfaces" in MAX, select "Create New", add your chassis, and then complete the configuration wizard to auto-detect your scxi modules.

In LabVIEW, try using the example VIs here:  http://www.ni.com/example/30355/en/

One of the VIs in the LLB allows you to query by category, and SCXI is an option.  Let us know if this works!

Regards,

David R
Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,009 Views)

It looks like I have an even more fundamental problem.

I am able to add the chassis to NI-MAX - it isn't being autodetected, but none of the modules are being detected.

I am told that the issue is because of the legacy NI PCI-6071E DAQ board.

We are running Windows 7 Professiona 74-bit and NI-DAQmx 14.2 and LabVIEW 2014.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,004 Views)

Hi nyc,

The card is compatible with SCXI and your version of DAQmx, so it's not a problem from a compatibility standpoint.  There are a few possibilities:

1.  Does the card self-test in MAX?  When you use MAX Test Panels, do the digital lines on the card function as expected?  You can test the individual channels with a digital output signal and an LED.  This will determine if the card is fully functional.

2.  Are you configuring the SCXI chassis correctly in MAX?  Have you selected the 6071E card as the controlling card and set the chassis address to the appropriate number that matches how you have set the dip switches?

3.  Depending on the cards, one will have to be the one with the 1349 adapter attached to the back.  This document goes over module priority in SCXI chassis:  http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/32DABC8E886A147086256F3900705D80?OpenDocument

4.  Does the chassis auto-detect properly when there is just a single module in the chassis with the 1349 connected to it?  

Regards,

David R
Systems Engineer
National Instruments
Message 4 of 6
(3,990 Views)

@Roohcifer wrote:

Hi nyc,

The card is compatible with SCXI and your version of DAQmx, so it's not a problem from a compatibility standpoint.  There are a few possibilities:

1.  Does the card self-test in MAX?  When you use MAX Test Panels, do the digital lines on the card function as expected?  You can test the individual channels with a digital output signal and an LED.  This will determine if the card is fully functional.

2.  Are you configuring the SCXI chassis correctly in MAX?  Have you selected the 6071E card as the controlling card and set the chassis address to the appropriate number that matches how you have set the dip switches?

3.  Depending on the cards, one will have to be the one with the 1349 adapter attached to the back.  This document goes over module priority in SCXI chassis:  http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/32DABC8E886A147086256F3900705D80?OpenDocument

4.  Does the chassis auto-detect properly when there is just a single module in the chassis with the 1349 connected to it?  

Regards,

Hi, David,

The answers:

1. Yes, the 6071E card self-test is successful.

2. NI-MAX automatically determined that the 6071E is the controlling card.

It then asks me which is the Communicating SCXI Module Slot and I choose 1 because that is the module to which the cable is connected. I haven't checked the chassis address. It should be noted that this system was working fine in Windows 2000 before the upgrade to this WIndows 7 PC.

Edit: There aren't DIP switches to set the chassis address  on this SCXI-1001.

3. The cable that is being used is the SH1006868 which is 100-pin connector to 2 68-pin connectors cable.

4. We don't have 1349 adapter as far as I can see.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,983 Views)

I wanted to update this thread to say that I was able to manually add the SCXI-1001 chassis and all its modules to NI-MAX.

I was expecting the NI-MAX to auto-detect the chassis and its modules.

I ignored the error that I got when clicking the Auto-Detect button and forged ahead with adding the modules to the chassis manually.

Thanks to David for pointing me in the right direction.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,972 Views)