Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pinout 1.5 V DC AAA battery voltage measurement with DAQ USB 6009

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, I have a very basic question with pinout when measuring 1.5 V voltage on a USB DAQ 6009, using a standard AAA battery. Is it correct to connect (+) to AI0 and (-) to AI4 as suggested in MAX?

Nothing else required?

(pinout attached)

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,265 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author feanorou

Hi feanorou,

Yes, when you have the terminal configuration set as Differential, then using the AI 0 pin as (AI 0+) and using the AI 4 pin as (AI 0-) is a good configuration to measure from the AAA battery.

Milan
Message 2 of 4
(3,235 Views)

Hello, I have another question before connecting the battery, how much is allowed current flowing into USB 6009?

Should I use an external resistor to keep current below 8.5 mA?

From the manual I see following:

The default configuration of the NI USB-6008/6009 DIO ports is open collector, allowing 5 V operation, with an onboard 4.7 kΩ pull-up resistor.
An external user-provided pull-up resistor can be added to increase the source current drive up to a 8.5 mA limit per line as shown in Figure 15.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,212 Views)

Hi feanorou,

Above you mentioned that you were performing an analog measurement of the battery. As listed in the manual, analog input has 144 kOhms of input impedance so the current created by a 1.5V differential from a battery should not cause any problems!

Milan
Message 4 of 4
(3,169 Views)