From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nidaqmxconfig - autodetect/config. and self-test

Dear Community,

The official NI documentation on DAQmx for Linux is now 9 years old (shame on NI) so it's obviously missing necessary details for non-ancient versions of DAQmx.

Of particular interest to me:

1. I saw a mention on a forum posting that nidaqmxconfig could auto detect the modules. Is this correct? Right now I find the output of nixdaqmxconfig has a lot of cruft in it - because we deploy w/ RAD we find non-existing modules and entire cDAQ chassis listed in the config (!). I'm thinking an erase followed by autodetect would give us an accurate representation of the hardware...

2. There's an option for --selt-test. nidaqmxconfig's help shows this:
nidaqmxconfig --self-test <device>

but I can't figure out what it expects for the device name and there is literally zero information on this anywhere on NI's website or even the Internet at large. Does anyone have experience w/ this feature? I was hoping we could use this to differentiate between the phantom hardware and the real hardware actually in the chassis.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,144 Views)

The system should detect the modules in the chassis, are you seeing the chassis or you can't see the chassis neither?

Can you explain a bit more your system? the hardware you are using, Linux version, DAQmx version and so on.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,106 Views)

Thanks for your response. So here's what I've found:

1. nilsdev --verbose seems to give accurate information.

2. The contents of nidaqmxconfig --export are inaccurate.

Often I see DAQ chassis that don't even exist
Often I see the same module listed in multiple spots (so for example the same serial number will 'exist' on two different cDAQ chassis, neither of which has a serial number that matches the actual serial number of the unit.

This is why I was hoping I could use self-test, at least this would somehow help validate the naming and differentiate what is real and what isn't.

As for the setup:

Hardware & base config:
cDAQ-9134 w/ NI RT Linux w/ 2 x c-series 9239 modules

OS

Linux NI-cDAQ-9134-019E3C0F 3.10.31-ltsi-rt29-2.10.0f0 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Mon Dec 8 14:38:34 CST 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux

DAQmx

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,092 Views)

That's very odd, have you tried to reinstall DAQmx?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,071 Views)