Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new computer, now device is not responding to selected base address in MAX

Due an unrelated hardware issue, I was required to move the fully operational NI LabVIEW application to a new computer.
I physically moved the hard drive and the PCI boards to the new computer, and booted it up.
Now, I cannot access the PCI-6031E DAQ card.

If I go to Windows System control panel, the device shows up under the hardware list
If I check the properties of the PCI-6031E card, it indicates that it is working correctly, that there are no conflicts.
I check the memory range and the IRQ, they look okay.
Close that window

Go to Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) 2.2
Have it scan for devices, it 'sees' the PCI-6031E card
Click on Properties, It shows our only NI DAQ card as device 1
It also shows the same Memory Range and IRQ that the system control panel showed.
This MAX does show DMA entries of 0, 1, and 2 (the system control panel did not)

Click 'Test Resources' button
get error message "The device is not responding to the selected base address".

I have tried changing PCI bus slots, same problem
I have uninstalled the board, and had PNP search for it, same problem
I have reloaded the drivers, same problem

Any ideas?
Jeff
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,068 Views)
Hi Jeff,

It sounds like you're using an older version of the DAQ driver software (you can find out version info in MAX by highlighting NI-DAQ under the Software folder. Depending on your OS and LV version, you can take advantage of a newer DAQ driver version (DAQ 7.3 and DAQ 7.4 supports back to LV 6.1, DAQ 7.1 supports LV 6.0):

Data Acquisition (DAQ) Installation/Configuration Troubleshooter

If possible, please try upgrading your driver version to see if it solves the problem.

You can also check out the suggestions listed in the article below:

"Not Responding to the Selected Base Address" Error

Furthermore, do you have other PCI devices installed? Try removing one of them to see if the same you get the same error still.

Thanks,
Lesley Y.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,057 Views)
Thanks Lesley,

I will certainly try the updated driver.

I do have other PCI cards in this computer. I tried removing one of them (the sound card), same problem. I tried removing two of them (Sound Card and Network Card) same problem. I replaced the cards, same problem.

I have tried most of the items that are suggested in the link you provided, but if the udpated driver doesn't fix the problem, I try the others.

Thanks,
Jeff
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,052 Views)
More Info.

Different computer, same problem.

Using PCMCIA card DAQCard-6062E
Pentium II
Windows XP (also tried 2000, and 98)
Downloaded and used latest drivers (don't have the version number in front of me)

So, different computer, different OS, Different DAQ board, udpated driver.
Also updated the Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX)

Same Problem.

Any thoughts?
Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,009 Views)

Hi Jeff-

Just to verify, I assume you're using the PCMCIA in a laptop PCMCIA slot and not a PCI to PCMCIA bridge.  The latter configuration is not recommended because of some compatibility problems between the data transfer mechanisms of the two different buses and reliability problems with some converters.

Also, you might have already noticed this but the card is not supported by the most recent version of the NI-DAQ driver for PC under Win98.  For 98/ME you will need NI-DAQ 7.1

If you plan to use either WinXP or 2000 you will need NI-DAQmx 7.5 to be up-to-date with the most recent version.  I would suggest updating to this version to see if the problem persists.  Make sure that you physically uninstall the card before uninstalling your old driver version and installing this update.  Then reinstall the card after powering down and check for problems when you start back up.

If the problem still exists after this I would suggest attempting to use the card in other machines and also to test with the various other conditions such as removing unnecessary devices from the system as outlined in the KnowledgeBase that Lesley originally suggested.

I hope this helps!

Thanks-

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,995 Views)