Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need to select hardware for a vibration application

I need to vibrate (10g, 60 Hz sine) small (0.1 to 0.3 lbf) parts, and measure resistance (from 0.1 to 20 ohms). I've identified a shaker/amplifier, now I need the control electronics and I want to use NI hardware with LabVIEW. What do I need to buy?!? I'd like to use C-Series modules in a chassis to provide the signal to the amplifier and read an accelerometer (that I'd also like to buy from NI, with all cables). Is this enough information to begin selecting hardware?

I've been looking at the NI-9250 (C Series Sound and Vibration Input Module) and NI-9260 (C Series Voltage Output Module) for this, which appear to be exactly what I need, but I don't know how to select an accelerometer or how to connect everything.
Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,519 Views)

PCB is one company that sells accelerometers; I have used them in the past. Another company, although a bit more pricey is B&K.

Before recommending anything these are the questions:

1. What sensitivity do you need? Typically as sensitivity increases, calibrated bandwidth decreases. So if you need bandwidth, your accelerometer will be less sensitive.
  2. How is the test site? Is it industrial or research? There are high temperature accelerometers and ones that offer better shielding for E&M pick-up.
  3. These companies sell cables for their accelerometers.
  4. Hooking them up is easy, just AC couple and provide the IEPE excitation.
  5. Seeing 4, I should have said earlier, make sure the accelerometer is IEPE compatible. The NI modules provide between 2 - 4mA of DC current excitation for IEPE compatible products.

mcduff

EDIT: The USB 4331 has 4 inputs and 1 output, if that would work for you.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,461 Views)