Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mxbaseconfig 1.5 problems on OS X

I just downloaded NI-DAQmx Base for OS X version 1.5. I was using v.1.4.0f2, so the install was an upgrade. I have been trying things that used to work to make sure they still do, and I'm doing it with an M-series board to check out the new M-series support in NI-DAQmx Base.

I just got to the part of my tests where I load a task configured in mxbaseconfig...

I ran the new mxbaseconfig and found that my old test task was no longer there. Not a big deal, just create another.

I now have two boards installed: pci-6229 (dev1) and pci-6014 (dev2). I click the Create New Task button and get the dialog to create a new task. I type in a name ("jw scan test"), dev1 is already selected as is Analog Input acquisition type. But the OK button is dimmed.

I select dev2, the button is enabled.

I go back to dev1, the button is disabled.

I hit Cancel.

In existing tasks, I do not have the choice of dev1.

I re-started the computer, still the same situation.

My application works, though, accessing dev1 (pci-6229) to do basic scanning and analog output tests.

I have not tried removing the pci-6014, or changing the order of the boards in the pci slots.
John Weeks

WaveMetrics, Inc.
Phone (503) 620-3001
Fax (503) 620-6754
www.wavemetrics.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,771 Views)
OK- I've done two more tests.

I took the PCI-6014 out of the computer. lsdaq shows the PCI-6229 as dev1, as before.

mxbaseconfig shows no devices in the menu for pre-configured tasks. The New Task dialog shows dev1 in the menu, but the OK button is dimmed.

I put the pci-6014 back into the computer, but this time put it in under the 6229. lsdaq now assigns dev1 to the 6014 and dev2 to the 6229. mxbaseconfig still can't deal with the 6229.

Since I installed DAQmx Base 1.5 over 1.4, is there a chance that the mxbaseconfig application is the old one? How would I tell (Get Info on mxbaseconfig doesn't show a version number, and I can't find one inside the application)?

I suggest this partly because I see an empty folder "NIvisa" with date Today and a folder "NI-VISA" with date April 15. That looks like there was some sort of, er, lack of completeness about the upgrade.
John Weeks

WaveMetrics, Inc.
Phone (503) 620-3001
Fax (503) 620-6754
www.wavemetrics.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,768 Views)
Hello John,

If you have another computer with MAC OS X on it (by the way, which version of OS X are you running?) I would like to try and do a fresh install of DAQmx Base 1.5 and see if we can reproduce the behavior. I am also curious whether or not this behavior is related to a failed upgrade. If you don't have another MAC with OS X, is it possible for you to uninstall the driver and reinstall the 1.5 driver to see if you can reproduce the behavior after a fresh intsall of DAQmx Base 1.5?

Thanks,
E.Lee
Eric
DE For Life!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,753 Views)

@E.Lee wrote:
Hello John,

If you have another computer with MAC OS X on it (by the way, which version of OS X are you running?) I would like to try and do a fresh install of DAQmx Base 1.5 and see if we can reproduce the behavior. I am also curious whether or not this behavior is related to a failed upgrade. If you don't have another MAC with OS X, is it possible for you to uninstall the driver and reinstall the 1.5 driver to see if you can reproduce the behavior after a fresh intsall of DAQmx Base 1.5?

Thanks,
E.Lee

OK- I uninstalled. A scary process- I went through the uninstall documents and trashed everything there, plus a few files that were clearly part of the installation that weren't on the lists (I don't have Labview installed).

I re-installed NI-DAQmx Base 1.5, and it did not help. lsdaq lists the pci-6229, and mxbaseconfig shows it in the menu in the New Task dialog, but the OK button is dimmed when you select it. The pci-6014 is fine.

I am running OS X 10.3.7 on a Dual 2 GHz G5.
John Weeks

WaveMetrics, Inc.
Phone (503) 620-3001
Fax (503) 620-6754
www.wavemetrics.com
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,749 Views)
John,
M Series devices are not supported by the DAQmx Base Task Configuration Utility. With M Series, you must use dynamic DAQmx Base programs.
-Alan A.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,738 Views)

@Alan A. wrote:
John,
M Series devices are not supported by the DAQmx Base Task Configuration Utility. With M Series, you must use dynamic DAQmx Base programs.
-Alan A.

Thanks for the information, Alan.

1) This should be documented in the ReadMe file. I can find no mention of this restriction in the documentation.

2) This is a significant restriction of DAQmx Base capability, which is already limited. From the ReadMe:

>Some parameters that aren’t available in the C API interface can be accessed through
>the NI-DAQmx Base Task Configuration Utility (trigger hysteresis, convert clock rate, etc.).

In other words, the system is *designed* to rely on loading tasks created with mxbaseconfig.

Hopefully, a future revision of version 1.5 will add support for M-series to mxbaseconfig.
John Weeks

WaveMetrics, Inc.
Phone (503) 620-3001
Fax (503) 620-6754
www.wavemetrics.com
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,734 Views)