From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to isolate USB 6009 from supply?

Is it required to isloate USB-6009? I stepped down the voltage from 230V to 6V. can i directly connect that 6V to USB-6009. or do we need to isloate the USB-6009? If so,please tell me how to isolate. Iam a starter in this area.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,053 Views)

Depending on the output impedance of the step down, you may want to add in an operational amplifier to give the DAQ a low source impedance.  But for the most part, you should be fine with just connecting up to the 6V signal.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,046 Views)

"Isolate" usually implies that the two systems may have different common or ground connections. If your step down is done by a tranformer with no connection between the  primary (230 V) and the secondary (6 V), then you may be able to use it without further protection. One key point to remember is that standard power transfomers may have significant capacitive coupling between primary and secondary windings and may have a relatively low insulation voltage rating. Thus coupling of fast spikes or high voltage transients (such as from lightning) may still pass enough voltage and  energy to damage the DAQ device or transformer or even injure personnel.

Resistive or capacitive voltage dividers are probably not suitable because of grounding issues.

Voltage transducers usually have an isolation rating. If it is higher than the likely transients in your system, then such a transducer would be suitable.

Since you said you are a "starter" I highly recommend that you find someone with the necessary experience and knowledge to determine if your configuration is safe and appropriate.

Lynn

Message 3 of 4
(4,034 Views)

Hi,

I attached a datasheet for a voltage transducer we use a lot.

We use it from 12V DC up to 230V AC.

It has galvanic isolation and has proven to be very reliable.

Check if the accuracy suits your needs.

Best regards

Matej Zorko

/* A smart device is only as smart (stupid) as its programmer. */
Message 4 of 4
(4,015 Views)