From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

high frequency output pulse train by using DAQ 6211

Hi

May i use DAQ USB 6211 to generate a 20 MHz TTL pulse train with amplitude +/-6V? As i know it seems that i cannot use labview and USB 6211 to genertate such function directly. can any body have a strategy to get such pulse train?

Thank you

Best,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,190 Views)

Hi huangke,

USB-6211 will not be able to do that. Counter output will have TTL signal levels, and AO is too slow.

Can you tell me why you need to have a +/-6V output?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,157 Views)

Hi Stockson,

Thank you for your reply, In fact my goal is to build a driver for a piezo-electric transducer which has a resonat frequency 18 MHz. My idea is to use labview and DAQ USB 6211 to output a TTL pulse train with frequency 18 MHz, I think probably the amplitude should be less than 3 V if i can generate such pulse train with DAQ USB 6211, however, 3 V voltage is not enough for the piezo-electric transducer, so i wonder if i can amplify the pule train.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,148 Views)

There are multiple voltage level shifters. A lot will depend on number of channels, operating conditions, current requirements etc. Here is an example: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74lv1t34.pdf

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,130 Views)

In addition to needing an amplifier to get you to the right voltage range and a sufficient current delivery capability:

- does the transducer behave well when driven with a square wave?  In my admittedly limited experience with piezos, we were always careful to generate clean sine waves with very low harmonic content.

- will it behave well when driven at a frequency so far from its resonance?  Your available frequencies with an M-series board and its 80 MHz timebase are either 20 MHz or 16 MHz.  Is this going to be close enough?  With the piezos I dealt with, it wouldn't have been.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,122 Views)

Hi Stockson,

Thank you very much for your information, probably i need to switch to some other methods to build such driver.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,080 Views)

Hi Kevin,

Thank you very much for your help. In fact i never worked with piezo before. your experience is valuable to us. It seems that i need to find a special diver for my PZT instead of using labview and the DAQ to drive it.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,079 Views)