Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

erratic counter trigger from battery powered ttl source

I am using a new Monarch optical tachometer with TTL output to drive e-series counters. Using a function generator or other TTL conditioner it works fine. However, using the Monarch, either battery or plugged into line power, I get very erratic frequency readings and frequently a -200140 error. I am on a pcmcia 6036e and pxi-6052. Using LV7.1 daqmx measure digital frequency 1-counter. The analog observation of the TTL pulses shows slightly different min-max levels and pulse width, but no smoking gun. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,605 Views)
I would guess that you have noise on the signal when it's transitioning. The best suggestion I'd have is to try passing your signal through a filter to clean it up.

Hope this helps!
gus....
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,605 Views)
Thanks, Gus
I parallelled AI and counter, AI looks fine while counter chokes. But, are you thinking hi freq ringing at the edges?
Jim
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,605 Views)
That's what I'd guess. Generally when I have issues like this, it's due to high frequency noise at the transition. I'd take a look at the 1.5-3.0 V range.

Hope this helps!
gus....
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,605 Views)
Jim,

What gate frequency are you using in your example?

Depending on the frequency you are using, you could have a synchronization error. This refers to the measurement variation due to the gate and source edge not being synchronized. In the example you mentioned, you should be using a 20MHz timebase, where each source cycle lasts 50ns. If the gate frequency you are using is of 50KHz, the number of 50ns periods that occur during one cycle of a 50KHz signal is 400 +/-1, which yields a frequency measurement of between 49.88 and 50.13KHz. On the other hand, if the gate frequency you are using is of 5MHz, then the number of 50ns periods that occur during one cycle of a 50MHz signal is 4+/-1, which yields a frequency measurement between 4 and 6.67MH
z.

Again, the reason why you might be getting very erratic readings could be because of the frequency that you are outputting from the optical tachometer into the gate of your board.

Please let me know if this helped. Thanks!

LA
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,605 Views)
Thanks. I am using a VERY low freq. I have been testing at 5-10 Hz, my app will be <100Hz. It is a machine tachometer pulse.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,605 Views)
Hello Jim,

Did you check if you are having noise at the transitions? What about Gus's suggestion of checking the 1.5-3.0V range..did that work?

Thanks,

LA
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,605 Views)