Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

daq assist vs daq

Hello,

I am using NI I/O modules for...inputs and outputs.

I am wondering if there is a benefit in using daq vs daq assist. Daq assist does the "coding" for you, whereas daq you would manually code to start, read, write, clear, stop, etc,.

Also, would there ever be a time where daq would be needed, and daq assist cannot be needed when dealing with NI modules? 

On a completely different note, can someone explain to me what the difference is between port and line input/output. I've tried looking it up and even read about it in a LV text book, but cannot seem to figure it out. Could someone maybe give me an example of when to use each one or what each one is?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,431 Views)

You can do A LOT more with the DAQmx API than the DAQ Assistant.  And the DAQ Assistant always outputs the dreaded Dynamic Data Type (which any real LabVIEW programmer HATES).  And we run into situations all the time here in the forums where the person asking the question is trying to get the DAQ Assistant to do something it just was not designed to do, but could be easily done with the DAQmx API.

I would highly recommend giving this a read: Learn 10 Functions in NI-DAQmx and Handle 80 Percent of Your Data Acquisition Applications

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 4
(4,412 Views)

Just for reference purpose, could you give me an example of a situation where DAQ would be needed and daq assistant would fail? or vice versa? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,336 Views)

Here is the most recent thread of the DAQ Assistant failing: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/DAQ-Assistant-setup-Ok-but-get-Error-2002200/m-p/3161739#U3161739

There is not a time I would actually recommend the DAQ Assistant unless you are just doing a really quick test to check something out.  But even then, you could just use MAX.  Whatever you can do with the DAQ Assistant can be easily done with the DAQmx API.  Not true going the other way.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,334 Views)