From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting a HV differential probe to a USB-6341

Hi,
I have a NI USB-6341 and need to measure a 20KHz, 700V signal.
I am planning to use a high voltage differential probe like the TA041 from Pico.
Do I need to worry about the output impedance of the probe? Those probes are designed to be used with oscilloscopes which have 1MOhm impedance. According to the datasheet the 6341 has >10GOhm impedance.

Jens

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,532 Views)

Hi Jens,

the devices wouldn't be damaged or anything like that if you don't apply more than 10V to the USB-6341. BUT you won't get accurate measurements either! 

Probes are designed to be a volage devider with the accurate resistor in the Oscilloscope. See the second picture in this link. The input resistor in the USB-6341 is "unknown", inaccurate (of course you can mesure it) and it will lead not to the deviding factor you expect. Thus I wouldn't recomment to do the measurement this way. For that purpose you should rather use a NI-SCOPE:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/de/nid/12638

Hope this helps,

Heinz

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,471 Views)

RTFMspec : It says output impedance of this activ probe is about 1Ohm to 8Ohm up to 1MHz 🙂

So I wouldn't expect problems with that. But also take a brief look into the USB-6341 spec .seems like a multiplexed card so keep in mind the source impedance error versus sample-time (no problem if all inputs are buffered with an activ probe 😉 ) And if you read more channels check crosstalk!

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,459 Views)