Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

compactRIO not able to communicate with host computer using University network

Solved!
Go to solution

Please move this topic to appropiate section if this is not the correct section. I cannot locate a board called compactRIO. Many thanks.

I am experiencing this network communication problem with my cRIO 9067. the linklocal connection or USB connection is fine but not static IP connection over the network. I contacted the IT department to assign me an static IP address for my cRIO MAC address. In our university, they only block unknown MAC address access and the cRIO is in the white list now. here are the details

cRIO assigned IP address: 129.12.54.xxx, subnet mask tried both 255.255.255.0 &255.255.0.0, no luck

host computer static IP address: 129.12.50.xxx, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (information from cmd--ipconfig)

First question would be: are they on the same subnet? I need to make sure although the IT people confirms that.

Secondly, I followed https://www.ni.com/getting-started/set-up-hardware/compactrio/static-ip using the assigned IP address but no luck. I noticed that even I configure cRIO IPv4 address type to static using USB connection or during link local mode, it changed to DHCP or Link Local mode once I unplug USB and restart it.

Everytime I restart MAX, connect the cRIO and my host to Ethernet socket on the wall, it shows DHCP or Link Local mode with assigned IP 129.12.54.xxx and subnet Mask 255.255.255.248. In addition, I am not able to change it from a drop down list even after delete it and restart MAX as indicated by NI tutorials.

If you require any further information, please let me know.

Please help!

Jinyu

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,469 Views)

Hi jinyu0315!

Thanks for posting on the forum.

To answer your guestion about subnets: Yes they are on the same subnet when the address is in the range of 129.12.54.0 - 129.12.54.255 and the mask is 255.255.255.0.

You mentioned that you contacted the IT department to give you a static IP address. Why do you want to change the address that was allocated to cRIO? They probably tied the cRIO's network adapter MAC address to a IP specific address and it is now forced. Do you mean the ethernet connection with the assigned address does not work and you are unable to connect to the cRIO? Which ethernet port are you using?

If the cRIO is given a specific IP address, this suggests that the MAC address is recognized and the IP address is allocated correctly.

Message 2 of 8
(4,424 Views)

Dear Mikko,

Thank you for getting in touch.

To answer your questions:

1. Why do you want to change the address that was allocated to cRIO?

I didn't change the allocated IP. In order to use static IP, I need to manually input the IP that was allocated in MAX setting. (see attached screenshot 'setting in MAX'). The IP I entered was the allocated one from the IT department.

2.Do you mean the ethernet connection with the assigned address does not work and you are unable to connect to the cRIO?

Yes. I believe so. When I did that, the attached screenshot 'possible errors' is shown. the connection method automaticly changed to DHCP or Link Local which should be static IP. Also the subnet Mask changed to 255.255.255.248 instead of my setting 255.255.255.0. Note that I was not able to change connection method from drop down list as I did the settings with USB connection.

3. Which ethernet port are you using?

I used ethernet port 1 and disabled port 2. I know I used the correct port because if I connected to the disabled port, the left yellow light did not light up.

Regards,

Jinyu

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,412 Views)

Hi jinyu0315,

Thank you sending over the screenshots and details.

I noticed that you have not configured any gateway. A gateway is a network point that acts as an entrance to another network. This might be required, could you please check with your IT department?

After you set the IP, mask, gateway and press save, can you ping the cRIO? Don't restart the device. You can ping another device by opening the windows command prompt and type "ping <cRIO assigned IP address>".

If you are using Windows Firewall, please turn it completely off during troubleshooting.

Cheers,

Message 4 of 8
(4,386 Views)

Dear Mikko,

Thank you for your advice.

I will contact our IT department for the gateway.

Meanwhile, I believe the problem is due to that my host computer is in 129.12.54.xxx and my cRIO is assigned 129.12.50.xxx. I am contacting our IT department to assign my cRIO another IP within 129.12.54.xxx range.

After that is done, I will try to ping and let you know if the problem has been solved.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,360 Views)

Hi jinyu0315,

Just wanted to check how is going. Did you manage to figure it out with the IT department?

Regards,

Mikko

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,310 Views)

Dear Mikko,

Thank you for asking. Unforturnately they haven't sort it out, yet. I will keep you updated regardless of whether it will work or not.

Regards,

Jinyu

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,304 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jinyu0315

Dear Mikko,

I am delighted to tell you that the problem has been solved. the cRIO works fine.

The reason why it does not work in the first place is because they are on the different subnet. For my school, my host is 12x.1x.54.130 and the assigned IP to my cRIO is 12x.1x.54.131. the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 The number marked in red must be the same for the cRIO to connect correctly.

Regards,

Jinyu

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,282 Views)