Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cDaq 9132 crash

Solved!
Go to solution

I have 4 brand new cDAQ-9132 systems that are going into production thgis week.  During the last two weeks as these systems are running, they are crashing.  Here is what happens.

1 The system is running our application, or in some cases, just sitting there running Windows 7

2 The screen goes dark, and there is no further response from the system.  The power light on the controller is ON.

Restarting the monitor does nothing, unplugging and reinserting the VGA does nothing.  No keyboard response at all. 

3 Press the RESET button or cycle power using the Power button will restart the computer.  Windows error logs have no information at all at the moment of crash, all clean up until the new log entries at boot up.

One odd thing about the setup is that there are very long VGA and USB cables.  16 feet.  Two USB cables go 16 feet each to two separate powered USB hubs.  One hub has a touchscreen and keyboard, the other hub has a barcode scanner and a label printer.

Four of these systems all have the same symptom.  All four racks have one 9229 and one 9422 each.

I setup the bios on one to report USB overcurrent to the OS, and to remain OFF if there is a power interruption.  We used a Fluke using Min/Max to check for variability on the 24VDC power supplies used for the controller, nothing was found.  The controller has it's own dedicated power supply.  Due to a quirk of ordering, two of the system have one type of 24V supply, the other two systems have a different vendor supply.  All supplies are more than adequate for the controller.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,655 Views)

Just to add, one of the machines has an error saying that it could not create a crashdump.  I looked and found that he cDAQ is configured to have a swapfile size of 0.  I am pretty sure that this will cause a crash dump to fail.  Does anyone know why the pagefile is set to 0? , or if it should be for these controllers?  I have a workaround to get the crashdump produced regardless of the pagefile.  At least the dump might tell me something.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,653 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Palickar

Hello Palickar,

Is it possible to try running the cDAQs without the long USB cables in order to rule them out as a cause of the crashes? If the chassis still crash without the long USB cables, then perhaps it could have something to do with how power is provided to the chassis. 

Could you confirm that your setup complies with the section labeled "Wiring Power to the NI cDAQ-9132"?:

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371801b_02.pdf

Dale S.
RF Systems Engineer - NI
Message 3 of 4
(3,631 Views)

Sorry for the delay in replying,

We put a powered usb hub close to the controller, and ran the long USB wire to another powered hub near the operator interface which breaks out the 3 USB devices required.  So far so good.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,490 Views)