Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best DAQ device for microphone data with out sampling delay between channels

Hi All,

I am working on a project on sound localization and i am looking for a good DAQ device which is apr for my project.

I have been working on NI DI-158U and data aquisition software to collect the microphone data using 4 channels. I want to do this project in LabVIEW and i could not able to acquire the data from it through labview.

I was just wondering if any one can advice me with a good DAQ device to collect the sound pressure data and also compatible with labVIEW?

Regards,

Harsha

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,492 Views)

Hello, Harsha Kiran!

First to note, I believe you're referring to the DATAQ DI-158 USB device that won't work with LabVIEW, correct? All National Instruments hardware should be fully compatible with LabVIEW - so I just wanted to check.

The NI 9234 is a very good option for microphone measurements. Assuming you're looking for another USB device (the 9234 is also available for ethernet and wi-fi), you'll want to take a look at the following page:

NI 9234 Measurement System - USB Data Acquisition Module and 1-slot Chassis

However, the best device for your application really depends on your specifications - what are your requirements?

Will Hilzinger | Switch Product Support Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,478 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

Yes you are correct. I was referring to DATAQ DI-158 USB. There is a forum which says that i can make this device to get the data in Labview using ultimaserial. I tried it but could not succeed.

DATAQ DI-158 USB come with the data acquisition software. i tried to record the sound through the software for the 4 microphone array i have and export it through an excel file. I then used to load this data though MATLAb and perform the algorith whcih would give me an estimate of the location of the sound source. but this was not REAL TIME!

My requirements are to design a real time sound localization system. If i can able to collect the data realtime from a DAQ supported by LABVIEW, i can code my algorithm and get what i want...I was also thinking of a portable array to collect data instead of a fixed one. 

Hope this helps..

As i am interted to find the delay of the sound source between the microphones, i was looking for a device which would simultaneously sample all the channels at same speed with no delays..

Regards,

Harsha

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,475 Views)

No problem, Harsha.

The 9234 would certainly allow you to view live data from your microphones. With LabVIEW you can read, analyze, and display the data in the same piece of code - which it sounds like you're aware of.

The 9234, in particular, would allow you to simultaneously sample from your microphones at up to 51.2 kS/s. You can see more of the specifications at the page for the NI 9234 module. Note that my link in the previous post shows the module along with the needed USB 1-slot chassis, where the below link merely shows the module (the brains of the data acquisition), which still requires a chassis to operate.

Please let me know if you have any more questions on this, Harsha!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,458 Views)

The USB-9234 is simultaneous and also provides IEPE for your microphones - simplifying the test.  With LabVIEW you can calculate phase differences at specific frequencies from the microphones.   Further, if needed, you can execute mscript code inside of LabVIEW. 

Also you may find this interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNZCS-coZjY

Preston

Preston Johnson
Solutions Manager, Industrial IoT: Condition Monitoring and Predictive Analytics
cbt
512 431 2371
preston.johnson@cbtechinc
Message 5 of 7
(3,455 Views)

Thank you for the reply.

I have worked on the NI 9234 DAQ and is awesome! I have designed my sound localization system in labview and Matlab and it worked with good accuracy.

Regards,

Harsha

Message 6 of 7
(3,434 Views)

Glad to hear it, Harsha! Thanks for the update.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,422 Views)