Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

analog output with pci 6014 and usb 6009

Hey,
I am trying to do an analog output to a linear actuator (with DC motor), to make it move in both directions. This means when i am driving the actuator in another direction i will need to change the polarity of the current.

I have two daq systems available, the USB 6009 and the PCI 6014

My specific questions are,
1.Is the analog outpout voltage from the two above emntioned daq systems dc current or ac current?
2.are we able to drive the actuator in both directions using either of the two daq systmes above. I ask this question because in the data sheets for the usb 6009 it says the analog output range is from 0 to 5V. But for the PCI 6014 it is -10 to +10V, hence making reversing the polarity possible.

Thankyou
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,927 Views)
sri_86

1. The ouput is voltage, not current. You can set it to steady values (DC) or update the ouputs to create a varying signal that could be considered AC.

2. You are correct, the USB-6008 only generates positive voltages in the 0-5 V range, thus the 6014 looks more appropriate for your needs.

How fast do you need to change polarity?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,904 Views)
hey,
Thanks for teh help.

I need to be able to change polarity prett quick, in approximately 0.1 to 0.2 seconds.

Also, is it possible to do simultaneous analog input and output with these daq's?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,890 Views)
Hey sri_86,

It is possible to do simultaneous analog input and output. In LabVIEW, you can create two parallel tasks, one for analog input and one for analog output. Just remember that you cannot create more than one task per type, but you can specify several channels for analog output/input by changing the physical channels input to the create channel VI.

You may want to have a look at these articles below. They give some great tips on creating DAQ applications.

Complete Data Acquisition Tutorial
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3116

Learn 10 Functions in NI-DAQmx and Handle 80 Percent of Your Data Acquisition Applications
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/2835
Regards,

Chris Delvizis
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,872 Views)