From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

analog input quantized

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

The data input into LabVIEW by my USB-1208LS is precise, but the analog input voltage values are quantized (there are only a few repeating values: 0.696 0.691 0.696 0.701 0.691 0.701 0.691 0.691, etc.). I am measuring the voltages of four photocells powered by the +5V of the USB-1208LS. Each photocell is measured in a different channel using the differental input mode. Is there some way to fix the quantization of the data?

I am not sure if this is a LabVIEW problem, but attached is my block diagram, in case I am not inputting the voltages correctly.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,668 Views)
As far as I know, devices from Measurement Computing use the same general design as DAQmx from NI and your use of four separate tasks is just wrong. You should be using a single task that has multiple channels. You aren't getting an error from your code?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,649 Views)

Thank you for your quick response!

From what I have found and used, Measurement Computing requires a VI of its own to aquire the data from the each of the channels separately, so right now I have four different tasks, each reading a single channel. I do not get any errors from my code, and it runs fine, other than the strange voltage readings.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,646 Views)
We all know that Measurement Computing requires drivers from them. The fact that you posted to the wrong board does not change the fact that you are using their driver incorrectly. Try using s single task with multiple channels and see if your problem doesn't go away.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,636 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author julia_S_998

On the +/-10 V input range the resolution of that device is about 5 mV, which is exactly what you are seeing. The resolution is calculated by taking the total voltage span across the range (20 V) and dividing by the number of steps or bins the A/D converter has over that range (2^12 = 4096). So, resolution = 20/4096 = 4.883 mV.

To get better resolution you need to use a smaller range (if your signal wil fit in a smaller range) or obtain a DAQ device with higher resolution, such as a 16-bit or 24-bit converter.

Lynn

Message 5 of 6
(4,629 Views)

Dennis,

I appologize for posting on the wrong board. I am new to this and will be sure to not make that mistake again. I will look into using a single task with multiple channels. If that doesn't work, I will switch to the NI DAQ card to which I am more accustomed.

Lynn,

Thank you for your help. The poor resolution would account for the gaps in the data.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,618 Views)