Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiring a NI 9237 and a Torque Transducer

Dear All

Newbie to these forums and NI equipment in general

I have a NI 9237 and using Labview 2014. I have recently managed to connect a couple of load cells to the NI 9237 and the VI I built for it is working great!

I now have to use a torque transducer and wondering whether the NI 9237 is suitable for my particular piece of equipment?

I have attached the data sheet for reference, and the transducer I have is the RT2A 5NM. There are a couple of areas that concern me on the data sheet are: (and please be gentl if these are simple assumptions or misassumptions I am making).

1) The nominal output is +/- 10V

2) The Nominal Power supply suggested is 15-24V (Can the NI9237 supply such Excitation voltage?)

3) The electrical wiring connection seems to rely on the supply voltage connection for the output voltage? (is this safe for the NI9237)

For point 1 in particular I cannot seem to find any calibration for scaling? or are torque transducers generally considered linear relationship between highest voltage and highest torque measurement possible?

Sorry if these all seem quite basic questions, the 9237 was quite expensive module so don't really want to rely on trial and error to build my next code?

Thank you for reading this post!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,625 Views)

Hello Tsuzaki,

It is possible that you might be able to rig up the RT2A sensor that you have to work with the NI 9237 module, but it is not an ideal setup because the NI 9237 is a ratiometric device designed to measure ratiometric sensors.

Looking at the data sheets that you've linked, it appears that the RT2 version of the torque sensor is ratiometric and will likely work with the NI 9237 module directly.  You can tell that this version of the sensor is ratiometric because the Nominal Sensitivity is specified as 1 or 2 mV/V depending on the Nominal Torque range.  This means that the sensor will have a full scale output of 2 mV per volt of excitation and the NI 9237 measures in the same units (mV per V of excitation).

Your best bet is to try and exchange the sensor unless there is some other reason you chose the RT2A version, but the specificaitons look identical to me.

Brooks
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,564 Views)