Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which windows for purpose build PC using 2xPCI-6713 and 2xPCI-6071E DAQs

I am building a new PC system around Foxconn H61AP motherboard.

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=motherboard&U=en-us0000579

The CPU is Intel Pentium Dual Core G870 3.10GHZ. The RAM is Corsair XMS3 2x4GB DDR3 1333MHz

The motherboard has six PCI slots so I suppose it should be OK for 2xPCI-6713 and 2xPCI-6071E daq cards.

I want to use the system to generate signals with the PCI-6713 cards and simultaneously collect signals with the PCI-6071E cards at maximum update rate the cards allow.

I am not sure which windows version will be optimum for that system. Currently I use Windows 7 64bit and I can not say that I am impress with its stability and performance. I am considering to use Windows XP Professional x64 for that system.

Please let me know what your thoughts are. Every feedback/suggestion is appreciated!  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,831 Views)

Hi PCIFan,

I would NOT recommend XP x64. NI software does not support that OS.

The latest version of the driver for those two PCI cards out right now is DAQmx 9.9 here are the OS's that are supported. I pulled it from the readme on the download page.

The following operating systems are supported in NI-DAQmx 9.9:

• Windows 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
  • Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit)
  • Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)
  • Windows Vista Business edition, Service Pack (SP) 1 or greater (32-bit and 64-bit)
  • Windows XP, SP3 or greater
  • Windows Server 2003 R2, SP2 or greater (32-bit)
  • Windows Server 2008 R3, SP1 or greater (64-bit, not supported on Server Core Role)

-Luke

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,790 Views)

Hi Luke,

Thank you for the info.

I will install Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and most probably will stick with it if the PC runs well.

Regarding the controlling software, I am considering to use Matlab. I've got some experience with the Matlab DAQ Toolbox. Is Matlab an efficient way to control several DAQ cards simultaneously or it is better to consider some other software/application?

Regarding the hardware. Are there any specific things that I should consider? For example should I expect any difficulties when simultaneously control several DAQ cards mounted on the same motherboard?

PCIFan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,753 Views)