Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I find the NI-DAQ function list for a specific card.

I trying to find a reference where I look up a card ID and it lists the NI-DAQ functions that work FOR THAT CARD ONLY!

Example: The PXI-4472 DSA card shows that it supports STC timer/counter functions (like GPCTR_Control()) when you search by card in NI-DAQ Help. But in reality, none of the functions work correctly, even though the function call doesn't return a status error.

Is there a place to find an accurate cross-reference so I don't keep programming my card thinking it's working correctly when it's not?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,610 Views)
There is a cross reference in the Traditional NI-DAQ Functional Reference Help document. There is a section that lists functions by hardware. The document can normally be found by going to start menu->programs->National Instruments->NI-DAQ.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,610 Views)
Thank you for proving my point. Go to where you suggest, select Tradional NI-DAQ Functions-Listed by Hardware Product-Traditional NI-DAQ Functions-DSA Devices-NI4472 and NI-4474 Devices. Then, look for GPCTR functions. Those are not designed to work with the NI-4472 product, even tho it has a STC chip. The functions return no err, but they DO NOT work correctly. They should be excluded. Is there an ACCURATE list somewhere else?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,610 Views)
I here you man! I tried recently to use the new DAQmx functions, but ran into the same problem... cannot tell which functions are supported by my hardware (6070E). I gave up and went back to using the traditional functions.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,610 Views)
Hi,

Hopefully I can clear up your question. DAQmx is designed to work across all E-Series, DIO, and DSA boards with the same VIs. Traditional DAQ sometimes needs separate VIs for separate boards which can become rather confusing and thus one reason for the driver redesign.

There are some exceptions with the DSA boards though.

The 4472 uses the DAQ-STC chip just as you mentioned, but the full functionality of the counters are not available as they are with E-Series boards.

There are a few things to keep in mind.

#1) The STC has two counters, 0 and 1. If you synchronize 4472s, you will only be able to use counter 1. The driver claims counter 0 for special trigger delay operations.

#2) The 4472 counters have no physical connections to the "o
utside world." The EXT TRIG pin on the 4472, sometimes called PFI0, cannot be used to do anything with the counters. It cannot be a gate or source for the counter. The only pins you can use for gate, source, or output on the counters are the RTSI lines. This certainly limits the utility of the counters.

#3) Because so few customers have expressed a need for it, we have removed DSA counter access in DAQmx. If you program the 4472 (or 4461) in DAQmx, the DAQ-STC counters will not be available at all.

The DAQ-STC was included on the 4472 for some timing and triggering functionality aside from the counters (similiar to some of the jobs it performs on the E series cards). The counters are really an afterthought that came along with the chip.... they are not at all the primary reason for the STC being there.

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Erick D.
NI Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,610 Views)
I understand but,

"Where do I find the NI-DAQ function list for a specific card."

"I'm trying to find a reference where I look up a card ID and it lists the NI-DAQ functions that work FOR THAT CARD ONLY!

Is there a place to find an accurate cross-reference so I don't keep programming my card thinking it's working correctly when it's not?"
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,610 Views)
For traditional NI-DAQ there is a function reference list that shows which functions are compatible with specific NI hardware. You can access this by opening the Traditional NI-DAQ Function Reference Help from the Windows Start Menu (Start >> Programs >> NI-DAQ. Once the Help file is open, navigate to the following directory: Traditional NI-DAQ Functions >> Listed by Hardware Product >> Traditional NI-DAQ Functions.

For DAQmx there is no list that describes which functions work for specific devices. This is because DAQmx is a completely different API in which a small set of VIs and functions are able to do the multiple functionality of analog input, analog output, counter/timer, and DIO.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Erick D.
NI Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,610 Views)
Unfortunately, a developer needs quite a bit of info that's only supplied by digging through a lot of documentation and specifications for each board.

See also:

http://exchange.ni.com/servlet/ProcessRequest?RHIVEID=101&RPAGEID=149&HRedirect=%2Fservlet%2FProcessRequest%3FRHIVEID%3D101%26RPAGEID%3D135%26HOID%3D50650000000800000007EF0000%26USEARCHCONTEXT_CATEGORY_0%3D_30_%2524_12_%26USEARCHCONTEXT_CATEGORY_S%3D0%26UCATEGORY_0%3D_30_%2524_12_%26UCATEGORY_S%3D0&HOID=5065000000050000004FC10100&HIOID=50650000000800000007EF0000&HMTYPE=1&UCATEGORY_0=_30_%24_12_&UCATEGORY_S=0
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,609 Views)
So if DAQmx does not have a list that describes which functions work for specific devices, how are we expected to know which ones to use! ... by trial and error! That is ridiculous. Once upon a time, NI was easy to use and reduced development time, now you have to sift through examples and sparce documentation, and ultimately just waste time tinkering with it until you get it right, or as I have run into frequently, the thing just doesn't things the way any normal person would expect, and the response from NI is to buy the latest card (... which is not an option for most developers).
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,608 Views)
NI would prefer if you switched over to LabVIEW. It takes alot of head-count to support NI-DAQ and DAQmx.
This is what I was told when I proved that the Harmonic Analysis tools measures erroneously when the frequency of the signal changes (Advanced Analysis Library). Their solution was to take a month of my time helping them develop a wrapper to the LabVIEW VI because it works correctly. I'm just waiting to get burned by this in the future. FIX IT!
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,608 Views)