From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What real-time processor is used on the cRIO-9073 & cRIO-9074 & performance graphs for the same items.

Solved!
Go to solution

First, if this is the wrong board I apologize. I don't see a listing for cRIO in the drop down list??

1. I'm looking at making a batch controller, and considering the cRIO-9073 or cRIO-9074. They list a real-time processor of 200 and 400MHz, but I can't seem to find a listing of what processor they have on board. I would like to look at the actual processor specs and data sheets.Are these available?

2. I have found a a good graph of CPU  % usage vs. Number of Channels: AI + PID + AO on page 17, section "When to use compact rio scan mode" In the Real TIme training manual download, but this is fairly general. Is there any kind of similar or better performance charts on the cRIO-9073 and/or 9074?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Glad to answer questions. Thanks for any KUDOS or marked solutions 😉
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,148 Views)

Hi PatrickLye

I tried to find the actual processor specifications and data sheet but I was not able to find that information I do not know if this information is available, but why would you like to know that information are you concern if it will be enough?

What kind of performance or specification are you looking for? With the scan mode interface you could a achieve many application but if you want to run your application faster and you are worried about the CPU % usage I might recommend you to use the FPGA interface that way you could acquire, process and control with the FPGA, at hardware time.

FPGA Fundamentals

NI LabVIEW FPGA Module

Regards

Esteban R.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,132 Views)

1. I'm looking at making a batch controller, and considering the cRIO-9073 or cRIO-9074. They list a real-time processor of 200 and 400MHz, but I can't seem to find a listing of what processor they have on board. I would like to look at the actual processor specs and data sheets.Are these available?

2. I have found a a good graph of CPU  % usage vs. Number of Channels: AI + PID + AO on page 17, section "When to use compact rio scan mode" In the Real TIme training manual download, but this is fairly general. Is there any kind of similar or better performance charts on the cRIO-9073 and/or 9074?

I realize the FPGA can make things run better, but as I've stated above I'm looking into these items before I decide to go with these systems.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,109 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PatrickLye

Hi PatrickLye

Regarding my last post, I researched more and I was able to find the processor that is used in both cRIO’s but I escalated your question in order to be sure about the information that I found and also if this information was not intellectual property of National Instrument,  the cRIO-9073 and cRIO-9074 both use the MPC5200B. The difference between the two controllers is that the cRIO-9073 is being clocked at 266 MHz while the cRIO-9074 is being clocked at 400 MHz.

Unfortunately we do not have any 9073 vs. 9074 processor performance benchmarks at this time. The processor performance is highly dependent on how the RT software is written and how it is being used and optimized. More generally, since the cRIO-9074 has the processor clocked at 400 MHz, you will see a fairly significant performance increase in raw processor performance.

I hope this answers your question!

Regards

Esteban R.

Regards,
Daniel REDS
RF Systems Engineer

Help us grow.
If a post solves your question, mark it as The Solution.
If a post helps, give Kudos to it.
Message 4 of 6
(4,075 Views)

Yes, that answers my questions.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,073 Views)

Hi PatrickLye

Regarding my last post, I researched more and I was able to find the processor that is used in both cRIO’s but I escalated your question in order to be sure about the information that I found and also if this information was not intellectual property of National Instrument,  the cRIO-9073 and cRIO-9074 both use the MPC5200B. The difference between the two controllers is that the cRIO-9073 is being clocked at 266 MHz while the cRIO-9074 is being clocked at 400 MHz.

Unfortunately we do not have any 9073 vs. 9074 processor performance benchmarks at this time. The processor performance is highly dependent on how the RT software is written and how it is being used and optimized. More generally, since the cRIO-9074 has the processor clocked at 400 MHz, you will see a fairly significant performance increase in raw processor performance.

I hope this answers your question!

Regards

Esteban R.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,068 Views)