From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using older PCI-6025e Multifuntion DAQ in 64bit Windows 7, Labview 2014 SP2 via PCIe to PCI Bridge

Hello,

Subject is quite long!

I want to resurect a group of (4) older PCI-6025e DAQ cards, using a StarTech PCI-e to PCI bridge expansion system.

Specifically, before I purchase this bridge expansion system for $500 I better find out if it will work.

I will be using a Dell i7 class Optiplex, Windows 7 64 bit OS, Labview 2014 SP2 (and this is by default 64 bit?)

It occured to me that being the 6025e cards are older 32 bit, will this contraption even work?

Will there be any issues between the PCIe and PCI conversion?  The StarTech system specifies 32 bit, but will NIDAQmx have any issues with this setup?

My logic for doing this, is we spent close to $8k on these card originally, and they are still good.  Another $500 to keep them going seems economical, vs buying brand new hardware with the same channel count.

I also read this thread which got me thinking this may not work:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/Startech-Windows-7-64-bit-Issue/td-p/2978073

Also this thread:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Multifunction-DAQ/PCI-to-USB-adapter-for-NI-Multifunction-DAQ/m-p/1119059

StarTech product states 32bit compatibility.

http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Slot-Extension/PCI-Express-to-Four-Slot-PCI-Expansion-Bay~PEX...

If you are an NI hardware engineer, I would appreceiate your comments, or if someone in the community has tried this, and it didn't work, you would be my HERO for saving me $500 and all the hassle.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,938 Views)

First of all, there is no LabVIEW 2014 SP2.  There hasn't even been a SP1 yet.  LabVIEW 2014 was just released in August.

Your default install of LabVIEW is actually 32-bit.  There is a version you can download for the 64-bit if you really want to develop 64-bit applications (not necessary in most situations).

But now for the real kicker: the last version of DAQmx to support the 6025E is 9.5.1.  The latest version of LabVIEW that DAQmx 9.5.1 supports is 2011.  So if you want to keep with LabVIEW 2014, you will not be able to use those boards.

NI-DAQmx and NI-DAQ Driver Support: PCI/PXI Devices

DAQmx and LabVIEW Version Compatibility

NI is recommending replacing the PCI-6025E with the PCIe-6321.  It looks like it has the same capabilities with better specifications.  And they are only $625 each.  The extra $125 per board will be worth the lack of headaches of trying to get the old hardware and the new software to play together.  And I just don't trust bus conversions in general.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 6
(4,932 Views)
The pci-6025e is actually listed in the readme for DAQmx 14.1 as being supported - http://download.ni.com/support/softlib//multifunction_daq/nidaqmx/14.1/readme.html

I'm not sure I would trust the bus conversion either but if you can get a demo of the hardware, it might be worth a try.
Message 3 of 6
(4,914 Views)

Thank you crossrulz & Dennis.

For starters, to address a key point that crossrulz made:

First of all, there is no LabVIEW 2014 SP2.  There hasn't even been a SP1 yet.  LabVIEW 2014 was just released in August.

Developers Suite DVD’s for 2014 DS1 shipped in March of this year, and DS2 in May.

So DS2 is probably SP1, and DS1 was Beta or both early Beta? How the 2014 DS2 release is different than the much “fan fared” regular August release of LabVIEW 2014 I will have to look up, if any difference at all. I just got it early. No matter… it can update itself and auto-install any patches.

This all gets a little bit more confusing:  According to Dennis, the read-me confirms support.

The pci-6025e is actually listed in the readme for DAQmx 14.1 as being supported - http://download.ni.com/support/softlib//multifunction_daq/nidaqmx/14.1/readme.html

However, the chart links sent by crossrulz show the DAQmx version support contradict this.

Those charts clearly show DAQmx last version for 6025E is 9.5.1 which cross references to LV 2011 last version support. Mistake in the chart or in the release notes? A Definite Contradiction.

Isn’t a PXIe-1073 non-processor NI PXI chassis with a PCIe card on the PC, nothing more than a PCIe bridge similar to the StarTech rig? I mean… other than NI testing and certifying their own hardware which brings up the price.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I will call StarTech as well to see what they say.

Now, I am even more uncertain this would be worth the effort.

It all is shaping up to be a time draining hassle costing more than new hardware.

Hot swappable USB CDAQ is looking better and better.

Thank you both for giving me more insight.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,901 Views)

@Braincramp wrote:

This all gets a little bit more confusing:  According to Dennis, the read-me confirms support.

However, the chart links sent by crossrulz show the DAQmx version support contradict this.

Those charts clearly show DAQmx last version for 6025E is 9.5.1 which cross references to LV 2011 last version support. Mistake in the chart or in the release notes? A Definite Contradiction.

I would believe the release note.  I just noticed this morning that the latest version of DAQmx that is mentioned on the link I supplied was 9.5.1.  So that chart is obviously way out of date.  Plus there is the note that they are no longer updating it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,899 Views)

Yes, I was leaning toward the release notes as well.  I saw the note about dropped chart support.

Well, at least the legacy cards will work.  It's step in the right direction.

I have this "thing" about not throwing anything away... and the challenge of making old stuff work again.

I would even venture to try it if I could get the hardware used, or on the cheap.

There is also a single card bridge for about $40 I would gamble on, just as a test platform.

(In perspective, $40 is less than buying 2 tickets and snacks at the movie theater)

As long as I don't spend a month fighting with it to make it to work, and I would hope that it will work reliability.

I will update this post with any results/findngs of my "experiment".

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,895 Views)