From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to set R0 value after getting the sample clock rate

Hi,

I am trying to take a 4 wire RTD temperature measurement using a NI 9219 module on a cDAQ 9178.

I would like to make certain that I am using the recommended physical setup correctly and making the correct sequence of API calls (Please see attached C program). In order to troubleshoot my setup, I am using a fixed resistance (with nominal value of 1K ohm) instead of a Pt3851, connected as follows:
EX+ connected to HI
EX- connected to LOW
A 1000ohm resistor between EX+ and EX-

If I set the R0 value to be 1000, I expect the value of the output of DAQmxReadAnalogF64 to be close to 0 according to Callendar-Van Dusen Equation.

Here is my problem:
My attached program creates the RTD channel with a default R0 value of 100 and then later changes it to 1000 using the DAQmxSetAIRTDR0 method. If I call this method after a call to DAQmxGetSampClkRate, I get incorrect results (~ -123.91). If I move line 74 of the attached C program to a line above line 71, or if I remove line 71, I get expected results (~ 0.62). By calling the DAQmxGetSampClkRate function, am I sending the task to a state where it does not respond to property changes? The attached program is only a dummy program to illustrate the issue. In my application I use the sample clock rate to configure other properties.

Why does this happen? Is there a way around this?

Thanks,
Varun Hariharan
MathWorks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,947 Views)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it looks like you included the workaround/solution in your problem statement:

"If I move line 74 of the attached C program to a line above line 71 . . . I get expected results (~ 0.62)."

Highest Regards,

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,822 Views)

Hi,

The program I attached was only an example program and my actual application workflow requires the possibility of retrieving the sample clock rate before setting the R0 value. I am trying to understand the reason behind the difference in results and if the task state plays a part in this. 

Thanks,

Varun Hariharan

MathWorks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,749 Views)

Hi vharihar

I was reading your code and I saw that you are using the get sample clock function between the create and the start task function.

What happen if you move this function outside of this task?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,710 Views)

Hi,

If I called the DAQmxGetSampClkRate after the start task or if I do not call it at all, then the R0 value gets configured correctly. 

Regards,

Varun Hariharan

MathWorks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,514 Views)

Hello, 

Can I get an update on this? Is there a way to set the R0 value after retrieving the sample clock rate? Should the task be in a particular state in order to set the R0 value? 

Thanks,

Varun Hariharan

MathWorks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,816 Views)