Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB DAQ cards with Windows remote desktop..?

Solved!
Go to solution

Yes.. excatly 🙂

"It appears he wants the remote PC to be able to access the DAQ on the local PC."

I have made that for a serial port but never for an USB device.

br,

Ilkka

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 19
(3,112 Views)
It works with serial devices because VISA server has support for it. No support in DAQmx. Since remote desktop allows you to log into a remote pc, why do you need MAX sharing?
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(3,108 Views)

Hi,

I do not need MAX for sharing. But if the USB card is visible in MAX on the remote PC, then it works also with our SW running in the remote computer.

We are running our own .NET/DAQmx based software on the remote PC including a database. It is also possible to install that software to the local PC but it would be much easier make this so that there is just one data acquisition software running in the remote PC. This is little complicated to explain 😉

totalpic.png

The Ethernet DAQ device is used for monitoring DUT1 and and USB card DUT2,3,3.. All results are saved to a common database in the Server. If we use just one sw running in the same server this system would be much simpler than if we run a separate data acquisition sw in the tablet,

br,

Ilkka

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(3,100 Views)
So you don't want to login to the remote. Sorry, as I said, that was a feature with the old DAQ driver. If you want this, I would suggest posting to the Idea Exchange.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(3,089 Views)

Hi Dennis,

Yes.. thanks. I will post this later to the Idea Exchange. NI can surely solve this..

Have a nice weekend,

Ilkka

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(3,083 Views)

Ilkka,

Make things clear: 

1. Local PC is one which has DAQmx installed and which has device USB-6218 connected with one of it's USB ports.

2. Remote PC is one which would be used to access all resources of Local PC through remote desktop connection.

3. When you access local PC from remote desktop PC; local PC will loged off. 

4. When remote desktop connection is established you will have a window opened showing your local PC resources including USB-6218 device into MAX.

5. Never forget to mark suitable answer as solution. Give Kudos for thanksgiving.

Jamal

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(3,079 Views)
Jamal,

From my understanding, you are describing what the user DOES NOT want to do. Remote desktop is not involved. What I understand is that he wants a DAQdevice on computer A to be visible as a DAQ resource on computer B. This is what is possible with VISA resources and what used to be available with traditional DAQ.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(3,068 Views)

Hi,

I am facing the same problem currently. I am trying to access NI USB DAQ 9215 connected to my local PC from a remote PC. I have access to local USB ports (tested with USB-sticks) but I cannot see NI USB DAQ in NI Max. Did you find any solution?

Thanks and best regards.

Semir

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(1,817 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yltsä

Microsoft Remote Desktop only allows for remoting specific classes of devices (storage devices, audio, printers, etc). It does not provide remote functionality for USB devices generically, so if Microsoft hasn't implemented support for certain devices (such as NI DAQ devices), then they don't get remoted.

If you want to use your USB-9215 on the remote PC, the USB-9215 will have to be connected to the remote PC.

——
Brandon Streiff
ni.com/compactdaq · ni.com/daq
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(1,803 Views)