Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-6343 3.3V digital output

Solved!
Go to solution

I inherited a USB-6343 DAQ unit and am testing some chips I designed. The latest version of the chip has 3.3V I/O and it appears that the 6343 only supports 5V digital I/O. Is there some quick way to convert the 5V output of the DAQ to 3.3V? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,537 Views)

Another question I'd have is which model DAQ does support 3.3V with similar featrues to the USB-6343?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,536 Views)

Hi, the quickest way would be to just use a resistor to drop the voltage from 5V to 3.3V. As for DAQ models that do support 3.3V output, which features of the USB-6343 would you also like in a model that supports 3.3V? Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a multifunction DAQ card that does support LVTTL, but there are some more specialized devices like the NI 9402 that would be able to do that. 

Gabriel M.
Product Marketing Engineer - Academic Courseware
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,489 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jmannnh

Hi,

I thought it might be worth posting some of this up on the same subject:

I understand you are trying to run an example code "Static Digital Output with Adjustable Logic Level". When you set the the Logic level to 3.3v you are seeing an error message.

Here is a KnowledgeBased (KB) article that explains what that message means. Now in this KB is talk about a different property but the concept is still the same.
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/05A563FE3AA7B3C286256FF90077C303?OpenDocument

I have also done a little bit more research and found this useful reference that shows supported properties for the device, and you can see that this property is not supported.
http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370471Y-01/cdaqmxsupp/usb-6343/

In conclusion you are limited to outputting only 5v if you need to get 3v to drive your relays perhaps I could suggest you use a logic converter circuit that will convert your 5v to 3.3v.

I hope this information helps.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards

Kevin Ross
National Instruments
Applications Engineering
www.ni.com/support

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,445 Views)

Thanks for the information.

I design integrated circuits so I don't normally do testing but as part of a startup I've had to pick it up and I have to say that I can't believe that test equipment is still operating at 5V. I haven't worked in a 5V process since the 80's. Most of today's processes are less than 1.5V. I feel like I'm in a Back to the Future movie.

Message 5 of 5
(4,440 Views)