From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 6009 Amp

Hi Everyone,

I have a small project working with an Instron model 1000, trying to set-up a teaching demo. I was able to identify an analog output related to force from the machine, that outputs a voltage of 0-500 mV proportional to the load.

I am thinking of using a NI USB 6009 to read the signal and send to labview for plotting and saving the data. But, I am concerned the signal may be low and I am thinking of using a LM 321 Op Amp to build a differential amplifier to boost the signal, and maybe also a noise reducing circuit. Does anyone have any experience if the LM 321 can operate off the USB 6009 output voltage, or would my idea lead to more noise and a messier signal?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,157 Views)

Even though your application does not require a differential input configuration, you could switch to the +/-1 V range in differential mode. That gives you about half a millivolt resolution or about one part per thousand of the full scale output of the Instron.  I doubt its accuracy is better than 0.1%.

The LM321 could be used but I doubt it would be much of an improvement.  The gain would need to be kept to about 5 to stay within the apparent output swing range. The 2-7 mV of input offset would also add to the errors. The 5 V power available from the USB-6008 is derived from the digital power of the USB and is likely rather noisy. 

I would stay away from an amplifier for this situation.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,138 Views)