cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-6008 Voltage Response Output

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi guys,

I created a LabVIEW program to continuously monitor the temperature of a bioreactor, using an NI USB-6008 multifunction I/O. I'm using LabVIEW 2017 and DAQmx 17.1. I have the program working, measuring the voltage through the thermistor, converting to temperature, and continuously displaying and recording. I also have a feature that turns on an alarm any time the temperature exceeds a chosen threshold.

The end goal is a response system where the temperature is monitored continuously, and I would like the system to automatically turn on an air pump any time the threshold temperature is exceeded. I need to be able to trigger an analog output voltage of at least 3.5V from the USB-6008 to a solid state relay to run the pump. Does anyone know how I can build this trigger correctly?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,802 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bren327

Bren327 wrote:

I need to be able to trigger an analog output voltage of at least 3.5V from the USB-6008 to a solid state relay to run the pump. Does anyone know how I can build this trigger correctly?

Use one of the Digital IO lines.  Then you just write the result of the comparison directly to the digital output.  The digital lines will put out a TTL (5V logic) signal, but not a lot of current.  So if your SSR needs more than 5mA for the control line, I would recommend adding some circuitry to allow for more current (do a search at Digikey in the Logic - Buffers, Drivers, Receivers, Transceivers section).

But if this is a serious application where safety is a concern, I would use a cRIO or one of the Ethernet Expansion Chassis.  Then the FPGA can handle the acquisition and control and just pass the data up to the host.  I do this because Windows likes to crash, but the FPGA can keep running at its deterministic rate and therefore perform the safety critical functions.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,786 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Use one of the Digital IO lines.  Then you just write the result of the comparison directly to the digital output.  The digital lines will put out a TTL (5V logic) signal, but not a lot of current.  So if your SSR needs more than 5mA for the control line, I would recommend adding some circuitry to allow for more current (do a search at Digikey in the Logic - Buffers, Drivers, Receivers, Transceivers section).

But if this is a serious application where safety is a concern, I would use a cRIO or one of the Ethernet Expansion Chassis.  Then the FPGA can handle the acquisition and control and just pass the data up to the host.  I do this because Windows likes to crash, but the FPGA can keep running at its deterministic rate and therefore perform the safety critical functions.

Thanks! The digital line worked perfectly. As for the second part, there are no safety hazards involved in our reactor; it's more of a glorified composter, but I may look into that since we have previously lost data with a computer crashing or shutting down. Thanks for the help! 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,766 Views)