Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 1208LS not recognised by LabVIEW

I am trying to using LabVIEW 8.2 with a USB 1208LS device; however, I am unable to get LabVIEW to recognise it.

When using the DAQ assistant, it doesn't show up in the list of DAQ devices, regardless of whether or not I select one of the Inputs or Outputs. It also does not show up in the Instrument I/O Assistant. The relevant User Libraries are all installed.

This DAQ device is recognised correctly by Windows (with the correct drivers), InstaCal and TracerDAQ.

When attempting to calibrate it in InstaCal, I get an error: "Max bipolar offset code reached", or "Min bipolar offset code reached" when I have the pins connected as instructed. It behaves as expected in TracerDAQ when set to 4 Differential mode in InstaCal, but when set to 8 Single Ended mode TracerDAQ displays an error on startup and does not display any devices to read as it normally would. 

I have tried using it on two different computers, one running Windows 2000 Professional, the other running Windows XP Professional. Both give the same results: communication with InstaCal and TracerDAQ, correctly configured in Windows, but nothing in LabVIEW's DAQ assistant or I/O assistant.

A pressure gauge controller is connected to the COM1 serial port. LabVIEW happily communicates with this. It also communicated successfully with a PCI DAQ device.

This USB 1208LS is from Measurement Computing. I saw that Adept Scientific also sell a USB 1208LS device, but the two products had the same specification and even looked the same in the product image.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(7,942 Views)

MAX is for configuring National Instruments devices - not Measurement Computing devices. The DAQ Assistant is for devices that use the DAQmx driver - National Instrument devices and not Measurement Computing devices. The Instrument I/O Assistant is not for DAQ devices at all.

You need to get LabVIEW drivers from Measurement Computing to use it with LabVIEW. If you are getting errors when trying to cal it, you need to contact Measurement Computing.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(7,940 Views)

Hi,

That USB device uses the Windows Human Interface Device drivers which means that the LabVIEW DAQ Assistant will not recognise it as it is designed to work with devices using National Instruments drivers.

To use LabVIEW will this device you will have to use the SubVIs provided by Measurement Computing.  Instructions on using these are at http://www.measurementcomputing.com/PDFManuals/sm-ul-labview.pdf so it is possible but it wont be recognised by built in LabVIEW VIs.

Regards

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(7,912 Views)

I found this information at ULx for NI LabVIEW Help. I guess it's going to be useful.

Getting Started

Using MCC hardware with NI LabVIEW

You must configure your Measurement Computing hardware with InstaCal before it can be recognized in NI LabVIEW. Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) is not used to configure MCC hardware for use in NI LabVIEW.

To configure your hardware, complete the following steps:

1. Close NI LabVIEW if it is running.
  2. Connect the MCC hardware that you want to use in NI LabVIEW.
  3. Open InstaCal and configure the hardware.
  4. InstaCal assigns a board number to each device it detects on the system. The board number assigned to the device in InstaCal is the number used to recognize the device in NI LabVIEW.
  1. Close InstaCal.

Note: NI LabVIEW reads the CB.CFG configuration file created by InstaCal. If you need to change any device settings make sure that NI LabVIEW is closed before you open InstaCal.

Message 4 of 4
(4,780 Views)