Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to install NI Device Driver but installation hangs multiple times can only get it to continue by stopping a process Named MSIxxxx.tmp*32 described as NI Device Loader Unloader

As the Subject states we have trouble installing the NI Device drivers. This is on Windows 7 and happens on several versions of the NI drivers.  basically the installation stops but appears to be working as the green progress bar continues to change but the Overall Progress never changes the % complete.  The only thing that appears to work is finding a process in the task manager with the description NI Device Loader Unloader and ending this process. It happens multiple times during an installation and on every computer we install this on. The actual process name changes Usually MSIxxxx.tmp*32  where xxxx appears to be a random Hex decimal number.  Would very much like to know if others have this problem and if there is a solution other than the one I have mentioned.

Thanks,

Randall

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(7,041 Views)

Would stopping the Ni Device Loader Service during the installation allow you to successfully install the NI Drivers?

If so, the following article includes the process to starting the Device Loader, you would just stop it during the installation and then set it back to Automatically start after the Download succeeds. 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2E02F8EC5D0197928625758C005FFD8D?OpenDocument

I will look into it a little further, in the mean time, what Drivers are you trying to download, have you tried to Force Reinstall the drivers?

Here is a link to how to force reinstall.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/ADD22E807D5A12AD862579EC00760F79

Please let me know if this helps you.

Sal H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(7,023 Views)

Thanks for the response.

The problem occurs on a new install loading NI device driver disk 1 installing all the defaults. Typically we add a PCI daq card to the machine after installation of the drivers usually for SCXI devices although we may add an additional NI USB or PXIe device. We also use the VISA drivers which install by default.  In most all cases the driver is installed first. Although we tried adding the PCI card first once to see if that made a difference and it didn't help.

The NI device loader service is not running and does not exist in the computer management/services at the time the problem occurs. After successfully loading the drivers and rebooting the computer is when we first find the NI device loader service running.

By following the process I outlined in the original post we are successful at getting the device drivers to load so there is no need to do a re-install. The process was difficult to discover and rather time consuming when doing this on ten or twenty systems at a time.  We would like and expect a simpler process to install device drivers.

Thanks again for the response.

Randall

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(7,010 Views)

I have been having this very same issue and just discovered this process "MSIF8F8.tmp" NI device loader unloader. killing it does in fact allow the driver install to resume. I have opened tickets on this issue some months ago without resolution. Happy to finally discover how to fix.

Regards,

Brian Harvey

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(6,896 Views)

Hello Brian.

@stratumorien wrote:

I have been having this very same issue and just discovered this process "MSIF8F8.tmp" NI device loader unloader. killing it does in fact allow the driver install to resume. I have opened tickets on this issue some months ago without resolution. Happy to finally discover how to fix.

Regards,

Brian Harvey

Thanks for your comment.

Actually a co-worker who handles most of our machine change outs discovered this fix. I have not opened a ticket yet but interesting that you have and had no resolution. Perhaps I should have posted this on the LabVIEW board as it usually appears to be more active.

My bigest problem about this fix is it requires many stops per installation (usually) and I would like to see it handled or at least addressed by the design team unless this is isolated to our location and hardware. Like I mentioned I have not started a ticket on this yet but perhaps it is time to start one.

Randall 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(6,889 Views)

Once I discovered that ending this process allowed the installer to continue I am now up and running. I did find that this issue occured on most but not all of my computers. 

I agree that it is exceptionally annoying that I have to sit and babysit the installer just to kill this process (~10-15 times) when it appears.

Regards,

Brian

Message 6 of 11
(6,878 Views)

I get this trying to install 488.2 v17 and NI-VISA v17.  This is still a problem.  Another anomaly pointed me to the web page that I downloaded the install program from.  This is still a major bug. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,657 Views)

Hello! 

Any error messages you're seeing and context, as well as if stopping the NI Device Loader works or not, will help troubleshoot. You may probably be better off to create a new post with your context since this post is a bit older. 

Additionally, it's possible that anti-virus software is blocking something while trying to install. It also will help to ensure that you do not have hardware connected to the computer while trying to install drivers. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,641 Views)

For what ever reason, I have not had this problem using LabVIEW Drivers from May 2017.  You might check to see if you are installing an earlier driver.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,634 Views)