Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Installing NI 9171 Single Module USB cDAQ Chassis

We have Kaspersky running on all windows machines here. It would take some significant effort to disable. Our IT guy should be in this afternoon, so I can figure out how to disable it long enough to try. We don't have a firewall installed aside from windows firewall.

I browsed through the event viewer. Nothing jumped out at me as belonging to the attempted driver install.

I've now tried this on 3 different computers, all with the same issue. I also dug up an old NI USB-6009. I plugged that in and it installed fine. Not sure if that tells us anything, but I figured I'd try another NI USB device to see what happened.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(2,292 Views)

The antivirus hint was a long shot; since 6009 and 9181 work fine, I would assume the actual driver installation is fine so you don't have to bother the IT 🙂

Unfortunately it looks there is something wrong with the 9171 or the C series module.

Do you plug it into the computer while the measurement module is inside? Did you try plugging just the carrier (empty 9171 carrier)?

Apart from this, some other things that come to my mind:

- check if this applies to you: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/49A8EC95510360F586257B09005B7AB1?OpenDocument (updating the USB driver might be generally a good idea anyway),

- try changing the USB cable,

- try manually selecting the DAQmx driver from the Device Manager.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(2,287 Views)

I don't think the USB 3.0 issue applies. The USB controller is intel and that isn't listed in the article.

I'm interested in trying the manual selection of the DAQmx driver. Where is the driver located?

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(2,285 Views)

I was talking about this (second part): http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/F3A23D5DE721584D8625723E005F510A?OpenDocument

Did you try connecting the empty chassis? If nothin I mentioned helps I suggest you contact NI techncial support and continue working with them. To make it faster please send them the technical report and a list of the stuff we discussed here.

Message 14 of 22
(2,274 Views)

I tried the second part of the driver install. The screen capture is the result.

I have tried both with a module installed and without.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(2,244 Views)

I have one last suggestion: Do you have any non-USB 3.0 ports in your computer you can try? If not, can you try and find an option to disable USB 3.0 from BIOS level?

Message 16 of 22
(2,241 Views)

You might be on to something there. I didn't find a way to disable USB 3.0, but I haven't exhausted all options to figure that out. However, I did find an older PC without USB 3.0 and the 9171 installed just fine. I was able to see it in MAX and test the 9477 module I wanted to use.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(2,239 Views)

I did find the BIOS option to disable USB 3.0. That did not help. Obviously it has something to do with the host PC or maybe the specific USB hub on them.

For reference, here are the PCs and the results:

Macbook Pro (Windows 7 VM running in Parallels) - did not work

Dell Optiplex 9020 - did not work

Dell Optiplex 790 - did work

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(2,237 Views)

If it's a problem with the USB controller, there is not much we can do.

It's a long shot, but I checked on Dell website and they released a new BIOS for the OptiPlex 9020: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=N08H6

In the changelog they mention improved USB compatibility... I think it's worth a shot.

In general, if you didn't do that already, I would suggest running the Dell update service and update all the drivers.

Message 19 of 22
(2,211 Views)

I tried updating the BIOS. No luck. It doesn't make much sense that it won't work on a standard configuration Dell. I understand my macbook pro / VM setup, as that is unusual. But the Dell should work. Oh well. I guess I'll just use the 9181.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(2,205 Views)