Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traditional DAQ 7.5 - Device number change not possible

We have an old test fixture which was running on Windows XP, LabVIEW 7.1 and Traditional DAQ. Recently we upgraded the PC and the operating system (Windows 7 32-bit.) We decided the move the code to LabVIEW 2013, but leave the Traditional DAQ for now because of time constrains.

So we installed LabVIEW runtime engine 2013, DAQmx 9.8, Traditional DAQ 7.5 and some other drivers. The MAX version is 5.6. We have 6 DAQ cards: 4 x NI PCI-6527, 1 x NI PCI-6031E and 1 x NI PCI-6703

I needed to swap the device numbers for 2 of those cards in the Traditional DAQ configuration. Unfortunatelly it didn't work.

MAX shows the number change, but when I close it and open again, we have back the initial configuration. Well, we fixed the problem by swaping the DAQ cards in the PC. It seems that the DAQ device number is linked to the PCI slot.

I checked on a different PC with Windows XP and Traditional DAQ 7.4.4. The device number change works fine.

Is this a Thaditional DAQ 7.5 bug? Or just related to our particular configuration?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(6,137 Views)

Hello chembo,

I'm glad that you were able to swap the device numbers by changing the card slots. Usually this can also be done by completely deleting the devices from NI-MAX and adding them back under the desired device numbers. I understand that you are sticking with Traditional DAQ to save time for now, but we highly suggest migrating to DAQmx since we have more support resources for those functions. Here are some links that may help you with that transition:

Transition from Traditional NI-DAQ to NI-DAQmx in LabVIEW

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4342/en/

Translation Guide for Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy) to NI-DAQmx

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370466AA-01/mxcncpts/translguide/

The three types of PCI cards that you are using are all compatible with the DAQmx driver, but it is always a good idea to double check the readme file before converting from Traditional DAQ.

NI-DAQmx 14.1 Readme

http://download.ni.com/support/softlib//multifunction_daq/nidaqmx/14.1/readme.html

Erin D.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(6,112 Views)

Hi Erin,

Thanks. Delete and add device is much easier that swapping the cards, so next time I will use that 🙂

We use DAQmx in most of our test software, but the links you posted in your reply will be definitely helpful.

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(6,101 Views)

@ErinDavey wrote:

Hello chembo,

I'm glad that you were able to swap the device numbers by changing the card slots. Usually this can also be done by completely deleting the devices from NI-MAX and adding them back under the desired device numbers. .....................

Well, I needed to do this again and unfortunately deleting and adding the devices in NI-MAX didn't work.

I tried to swap the device numbers of a PCI-6031E (device 4) and a PCI-6527 (device 1) shown on screenshot below. When I delete the devices and try to add them again the 'Select Device' dialog box includes just a few DAQ cards. There is no 6031E or 6527 in the list, so I cannot add them. MAX shows the initial device numbers after restart.

TraditionalDAQ 7.4.4 doesn't like Windows7 and refuses to install. I guess we have to swap physically the cards. Any other ideas?

tdaq.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,515 Views)

What version of MAX do you have installed?  I would suggest updating to the most recent version of MAX to see if the issue persists.  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,479 Views)

Initially we noticed this behavior with MAX 5.6 (more information about the configuration is listed in my first message of this thread). The recent issue was with an older MAX 4.5 which comes with the NI-DNET 1.6.3 driver. The software running on this PC is LabVIEW 7.1. This configuration will be replaced soon with a new PC, LabVIEW 2013, NI-DNET 1.6.7, etc...

It is not possible to install always the latest versions on production test fixtures.

But I believe that the problem is related to Traditional DAQ 7.5 and I figured out how to change the DAQ device numbers without swapping the cards just a couple of hours ago 🙂

Initially I was changing the Device Number, then click on Apply and OK, or only OK. In both cases restarting MAX and/or the PC shows that nothing was changed.

But the sequence below works (see screenshot).

• Device Number change
  • Apply
  • Go to Run Test Panels. I was also switching some of the channels in the test panel. Not sure if this is needed or not.
  • Click on OK

The Apply or OK buttons don't change the Device Number, but Run Test Panels does. I didn't have time to try if Test Resources works also similar to Run Test Panels.

This looks like a small bug, well let's call it unexpected behavior. Since I know now how to change the device numbers, it is fine with me, but probably it better to report it.

tdaq_properties.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,469 Views)

Chembo,

I'm glad that you figured out a workaround for switching your boards. I’ll look into if this is expected behavior for MAX. Thank you for following up!

Scott B.
AE NI
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,440 Views)

Well, unfortunately I have to disagree with my previous post.

I just installed Windows 7 32-bit on a new test fixture computer, and some drivers:  DAQmx 9.8, Traditional DAQ 7.5, NI-DNET 1.6.7, VISA 5.4.1. There are 4 PCI DAQ cards in the PC: 3 x PCI-6527 and one PCI-6031E. Following earlier suggestion in this thread I installed also the latest MAX 14.5.

Now my workaround doesn't work. I cannot rename anymore Traditional DAQ Devices.Once I close MAX and start it again and/or restart the computer the Traditional DAQ device numbers are back to the previous values. I suspect that we need to swap physically the cards in the PCI slots until we get the right device numbers. We have just a few programs using Traditional DAQ, but this is one of the cases where we need to use it. I need to have the analog DAQ card as Device 1, but it keeps taking the Device 3 ID, it doesn't matter what my settings are. There is no problem with the DAQmx device numbers.

Scott, did you get a chance to look at this. I guess, I will go ahead and report this as a bug.

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,321 Views)

OK, hopefully my last posting in this thread. I decided to reinstall Traditional DAQ 7.5 before we start swapping cards and it seems to work now.

Maybe something changed after installation of MAX 14.5 and was restored when I installed again Traditional DAQ 7.5.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,314 Views)

I had the same problem...very frustrating.  I finally logged in as an administrator and it works perfectly!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,644 Views)