Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncrhonizing Two 9469 connected two PCs

Solved!
Go to solution

We have a system with cDAQ-9178 chassis populated with NI-9469 module. This system is contrlled by a PC. We are trying to sync this unit to another unit with similar configuration(i.e cDAQ-9178 with NI-9469 connected to second PC) as a master and slave. Is this configuration valid?. If not can you please suggest alternatives? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,596 Views)

Hi lakshmi.aiyer,

Yes, that configuration should work without any problems. The nice thing about that module is that it allows you to basically just extend the chassis so you can do functions across multiple chassis that could not be done in the same situation with other modules. If you are concerned, I would take a look at this document that gives you some master slave configurations for that module: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/9CE545BAC569B4F886257BAD002F1A95

You should be able to do all of the programming and configuration through DAQmx, as these modules make set-up very easy. I hope this helps!

Rachel M.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,542 Views)

Hi lakshmi.aiyer, 

I want to apologize for my last post. After looking into this some more, it looks like you will need a different configuration, as the 9469 will not work in the way you want with multiple PCs. This can be reflected in the KnowledgeBase I attached in my last post, but is not explicitly stated, causing my own confusion. 

What I would suggest is to connect the separate modules to one host PC. This will allow a much better synchronization between the two chassis. If distance is a problem I would suggest a long Ethernet cable between the PC and one chassis, and then a long cat5 cable between the two 9469 modules. 

Is there a specific reason why you are using two PCs?

It might be possible to use two PCs, but you will probably need extra hardware. We recommend using a signal-based scheme between the two systems and a DIO C Series module. I hope this information is helpful!

Rachel M.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,424 Views)

Hi Rachel,

Thanks very much. This information is helpful. 

We have a custom enclousre that holds NI chassis and a PC. Our client wants to use two of the custom enclusures, synchronize them to expand the IOs. This setup is not flexible to connect two cDAQ chassis to single PC.  

Can you please provide some ideas about "It might be possible to use two PCs, but you will probably need extra hardware"?

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Lakshmi

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,420 Views)
Solution
Accepted by lakshmi.aiyer

Hi Lakshmi, 

Thank you for clarification on your set-up. I want to apologize again; in my last post I mentioned that you will probably need extra hardware, but you should not need anything other than the 9469 to make this set-up work. What I do think is that this information will be better discussed over the phone. Since that is the case, a representative should be getting in touch with you soon to discuss your options more in detail.

Once again, I am so sorry for all of the confusion, but I think discussing this over the phone will help clarify any questions you may have.

Have a great day!

Rachel M.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,407 Views)