From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronize Analog input task on an S-Series Board with output on an X-series

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to synchronize two PCIe boards, which are connected by a RTSI cable, an S-Series (PCI-6115) and an X-Series (PCIe-6363). I would like to run an AI task on the S-Series (10MHz acquisition) and a synchronous AO task on the X-Series. Among other things, I tried routing the 20 MHz timebase on the S-Series to RTSI7 and then into the refclk.src of the X-Series, but I got an error that the PLL could not lock to the source. It is not obvious to me what timing signal I can route between the two (it seems the S-Series can only export or input a 20MHz signal, and the X-Series a 10MHz). Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,840 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author morger

I've done a lot of board & task sync'ing and have almost *never* done any reference clock routing.  I generally just route sample clock (and maybe trigger) signals over the timing bus.  RTSI on a desktop, backplane on a PXI chassis.

You should be able to define your AO task to use the S-series task's sample clock as its timebase and then define a timebase divisor to set an AO sample rate.  Then start your AO task before the S-series task.  There's a good chance that alone will get you close enough (with some nanosec of signal propagation time), without dealing with triggers or reference clocks.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 2 of 3
(2,835 Views)

That worked perfectly for me - thanks for the advice!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,825 Views)