Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial communication with rs232

Hello all

I am currently doing a project for a wireless data logger and I have been asked, by my project supervisor, to use labview to be the data logger software.  However I am not very familiar with this software.  I am using a simple read, write program that I have attached.  While testing with labview 7.0, it gives error which I have attached.  The DAQ card that is available is NI DAQ 6024e and I have NI_CB_68LP connector block.  Can serial communication be done with this card or with the connector block? 

I am relying completely on your kind consideration to help me out of this.

Kind regards

Pravish

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,430 Views)

This board is for new ideas for data acquisition hardware. Not at all a place to ask programming questions.

To briefly answer your question, the DAQ card has nothing at all to do with serial communication. You are trying to select a com port in your pc and most likely you have another program using that port.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,426 Views)

Thanks for the reply Dennis.  In fact I am new to this forum, so I don't know where to post exactly.  I was reading from microBasic USART terminal and at the same time I was trying to read using labview

In the future I will be careful to where I postHope you grace me with your kind help in the future.

Kind regards

Pravish

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,409 Views)

Hi Dennis

Can you please direct me to a place in this forum where i can post my problems? 

Thanks

Regards

Kunal

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,404 Views)

Hi Kunal,

I moved your post to the Multifunction DAQ thread since it sounded like your direct question is with regards to the 6024E, but in retrospect I have no idea how the 6024E is supposed to fit into the application.  You can't use the 6024E to read from the serial interface of your USART as the 6024E does not support timed digital I/O.  Some other DAQ devices can actually perform clocked DIO so you could implement the serial communication yourself, but I probably wouldn't recommend this unless you feel like you know what you are doing.

So I'm still not sure what you are trying to do, but if it is what I mentioned above then it simply won't work.  If you're just trying to communicate with the USART in LabVIEW then I would try using NI-VISA over the computer's serial port.  Like Dennis mentioned the error you are receiving indicates that another program is probably using the port that you need (most likely it's mikroBasic for PIC which I can see is running from your screenshot).

I probably should have moved your post to the Serial forum.  If you continue having issues communicating with the USART using NI-VISA then I think you should make a new thread there.  I just wanted to respond here in case you were trying to do something with the 6024E that you can't.

Best Regards,

John Passiak
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,381 Views)