cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saturated signal in a daqmx task without wrong wiring

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello

I've installed daqmx-driver on a PXIe-8108 controller in order to acquire analoge signals from several load cells. The task I created used to work until I've started to use an FPGA-Card to perform other tasks in the program.

Now, when I start my program, the output of the load cells is always 10.45...Volts which means more than the possible 10V output. There is no drift but just a "saturated" signal. Since I've not yet found a wrong wiring, grounding or something similar, I don't have any other idea what could cause this signal problem.

Thanx for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,615 Views)

I would guess an open contact.

Test the channel with a short cut (and a bias to AGND) , does it measure ~0V ?

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,570 Views)

Hi Hendrik

if I make a shortcut from the signal source to AI Ground the signal dropes close to zero. I get a signal from the load cell even when I remove the shortcut - at least for a few seconds...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,555 Views)

That indicates a missing bias path.

So at least one input seems to be floating...   or both... How is the bridge connected and supplied?

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,550 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sciu

Hi Henrik

I'm using a SCB-68 Connector block (R Series). The amplifier output signal (see attachment) is connected to the AI+ and AI- pins (#68 and #34).

I've added a 100kOhm resistor between AI+ and AI-Ground and AI- and AI-Ground. This seems to work. Interestingly even a 100kOhm resistor between AI+ and AI-Ground seems to be sufficient...

Greets and many thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,546 Views)

1. You do not need a differential input with that amplifier. It produces a single-ended output.

2. How are the grounds connected? Signal conditioner Supply GND (pin 2), signal conditioner Signal GND (pin5), DAQ system ground?

3. Is any part of the load cell or the device to which it is mounted connected to any ground, including earth ground?

4. What is the actual analog input device (not the controller or the connector block) you are using?

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,541 Views)

One resistor 100k is fine. but should connect AI- to AGND    (or powergnd (=signal gnd?) to AGND.

Your amplifier seems to have a floating powersupply ... if it worked in the past...  any changes in the configuration there?

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,538 Views)

Hi Lynn

I am using a NI-6363 and a NI-7853R card in a 1078 Chassis of NI. Pin 2 and 5 are connected with a PULS power supply. This power supply is connected to an earth ground. There is no connection to the chassis or to any of the NI-cards. The cards themeselves are mounted in the chassis and share the same system ground (internally).

I've tried to acquire a RSE signal, but somehow the differential way worked better...?!?

thanx a lot

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,521 Views)

Hi Henrik

It used to work only when using NI-6363 DAQ-card alone (w/o the FPGA card). As soon as I implemented the FPGA card the signals of the 6363 card raised up to 10.4..V

Greets

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,520 Views)