From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample rate over 10khz ni96215

Taking input in ni9215 sampling at 40khz a sine wave around around 20khz I see beats instead of a sine wave. I tried to put a low pass filter at 20khz cut rate but I did not see significant improvements. I tried to bring the sampling rate to 60khz and using a kistler signal handling device to filter at 30khz but it does not improve the situation a lot. Do you know how to help me?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,851 Views)

If you want to see a reasonable approximation of a sine wave, you'll need to sample at a considerably higher frequency.  Some typical rules of thumb are 10x or 20x, so for a ~20 kHz sine wave you'd want a sample rate around 200 kHz - 400 kHz.

When you sample at 40 kHz, you will only see 2 samples per cycle, not nearly enough to reproduce the *shape* of the sine wave.  (2x sampling is the minimum needed to identify the *frequency* of a periodic signal, but does a poor job of approximating the real-world continuous signal).

Your device tops out at 100 kHz, or about 5x.  5 samples per cycle will be a little better than 2, but still not very good for seeing shape or amplitude.

Your basic choices are:

1. Understand the implications of your device's sample rate limitation and figure out a way to live with them.

2. Use a different device with higher sampling rate capability and appropriate other specs.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 2 of 4
(2,827 Views)

Thanks a lot I also have an old bnc 2120 and this has connected a card that can get to a frequency of 200kS / s the only problem is that it has a pci connector and i can not connect it to new pc

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,810 Views)

Kevin is rigth 🙂  however, if you want to measure amplitude and phase of your sine, capture >10ms (more than 50 periodes)  of your signal and use the tone detection vi . With a 5 times higher samplerate it still should work very well.

If you want to measure how clean your sine is, take longer data blocks an use the RMS value of the residual (output option of the tone detection) as a measure. 

Take a look at your soundcard, 196 kHz SR is not unsusual nowadays 🙂  (but the timebase of these units can drift!)

Another trick is subsampling ... if you can control the frequency of the signal and use a clever SR you can reconstruct a higher sampled sine periode from multible signal periodes ...  

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,808 Views)