cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMU vs. DAQ

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello to everyone, 

thanks in advance for all you can suggest to me.

I am wondering about the purchase of 2 SMUs vs. DAQ.

What is the real advantages of using a SMU instead of a multifunction data acquisition ?

(I have seen for example the NI X series Multifunction data acquisition systems).

G.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,312 Views)

They are two completely different types of equipment.  An SMU is a Source Measuring Unit.  You can think of it as a very precise power supply.  A DAQ is a Data Acquisition.  It only reads voltage, usually in many channels at a time.

So the real question is what are you trying to do?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 5
(3,305 Views)

Hi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,272 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author pogor

The problem you might have with the analog outputs of a DAQ is that they have a really small current limit.  I would use 2 SMUs for my input and a DMM to measure the output.  I am sure you can find an SMU with a lot lower voltage range.  Just a quick look and I see a PXIe-4144, which has 4 outputs at 6V, 500mA.  So I would go with that and a PXIe-4081 DMM.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 5
(3,267 Views)

Hi again Crossrulz, and thanks for the suggestion, that looks very very great...

It seems a very good solution...

G.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,242 Views)